• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Audio 10" Sub Installation (195 HO)

Marc Schauben

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Decided not to go with the Scarab "Premium" Sound System as the Kicker components did not impress me. I had used this same subwoofer in my SeaDoo Challenger 180. All the 6 1/2" speakers were also changed out to Polk Audio.

The most time consuming part of the installation was finding where the sub could be mounted because of the inner-hull "step", I could not mount it any lower towards the floor. (see pics). After exploring the space between hulls, I felt this was the best placement.

Next post will be the Rockford Fosgate Marine Amp install.
P8230262.JPG P8230265.JPG P8230268.JPG P8230269.JPG P8230272.JPG P8230275a.jpg P8230279.JPG P8290280 - Copy.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice looking install, thanks for posting it, @Marc Schauben

Also, welcome aboard!

One question... looks like you used speaker wire for your power lead. Haven't seen that before. What's the thought process there?

Marc Schauben

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It was 8GA Oxygen Free Tinned Marine cable. I wanted to use a heavy gauge cable for the power as well as the sub, so I ordered 25 feet. Do you believe that is a problem?

Nice looking install, thanks for posting it, @Marc Schauben

Also, welcome aboard!

One question... looks like you used speaker wire for your power lead. Haven't seen that before. What's the thought process there?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was 8GA Oxygen Free Tinned Marine cable. I wanted to use a heavy gauge cable for the power as well as the sub, so I ordered 25 feet. Do you believe that is a problem?
I don't know if it is or could be a problem. Just mentioned it as it is different.

I will tap on a few others to bring more expertise to bear...
@David Analog @Earmark Marine @txav8r ... what are your thoughts?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not sure what amp your using. But any sizable amp will need to be fused and needs appropriate sized wire. My single 700 watt amp used 4Ga on a similar length run. My 2 amps with a total of 1100 watts share a 2 ga run to a distribution block where they split to two separate 4 ga runs to each amp. 8 sounds small but it is totally dependent on power and distance.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife would shoot me if I ever installed a Subwoofer right there at "Her seat", lol. I admire your willingness to cut a big ass hole in your boat like that. The hull should make a pretty ridiculous enclosure :)

GIII

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
i would think a 10" could squeeze in where the 8" comes stock with a little cutting, no?
the 8" is actually pretty decent with a real amplifier, was thinking about adding another on the other side.

Marc Schauben

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just an update on the sound... We've been out several times and it amazes me how we can be running at 35mph and hear the sound perfectly thoughout the boat. Once I got the Fosgate amp all "tuned", there is just no end to how crystal clear is sounds at any volume. To me, it's not necessarily about the volume, but the full range quality of the sound. Makes me smile every time we go out!