• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Audio MM651 UM Extremely Disappointed!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm currently running stock head unit (Aquatics AV aq-ip-3b-m) and stock speakers (which I believe are JL MX650 based on my cross reference of serial # f2d-u8192-00) in my 2010 242 Limited (I bought new). I've never had a problem with volume, clarity or distortion with this set up. I can't get it to 3/4 volume without distortion and being crisply, deafeningly loud, no problem hearing the music at cruising speeds 30+ mph, or 50 ft away at the beach. However, after much hype about the Polk MM651 UM's and reading how magical they are, I decided to give them a shot and replace all 6 speakers, after all my current set up is 6 years old. Wow was I disappointed!!

Out of the box the Polks are MUCH lighter, scary light, like no magnet/driver light. They were also much smaller in circumference by about a 1/4", which poses a cosmetic problem. Despite my initial concerns I hooked up the 2 swim deck speakers and after multiple EQ adjustments, was utterly and completely disappointed! From the sound quality, to the volume capacity compared to my stocks (not to mention a tweeter on one of them was not even connected/soldered). Now, I'm not running an amp, but all the glorious reviews mentioned they would be fine without one and would notice a major improvement without one, but they certainly do come alive with one... allegedly.

Lesson learned, the grass isn't always greener. I guess, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think, not sure, but others have said you really need an amp to power the polks well.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You need an amp to power those speakers. I have the Polk 651's (factory in 242LS) and w/o the amp, they did the same thing. Put a Polk amp in and what a difference! They even handle the bass pretty damn well. I would like to upgrade to the JL's as I have read they are even better. A standard head unit just doesn't have the power to really put those speakers to work for what they are able.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@sofakingbig I never heard of a boat coming with JL speakers stock....but perhaps I missed that....or the dealer put them in. I would think the JLs would be an upgrade over the Polks not the other way around???

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Most of the reviews I read encouraged adding an amp to get the full potential of the speakers. I was actually more curious to see if they would really add anything more than what I already had. Based on my research, the reviewers stock speakers must have been very poor. I did not find the 6 speaker upgrade worth the $400. Or I had too high of expectations for them?!?!

@Julian It's a night and day difference, and that's apples to apples (just head unit power). I did cross reference the serial #'s and the JL MX650's matched, unless they were the same spec?

It's not worth buying an amp just to get them to my current stock level. I was shocked at the difference. Now I have to eat crow with the wife as she said "isn't it loud enough?" Perhaps she'd be happy with the downgrade?

I guess I should just learn to be happy with what I have, but hey, you never know until you try! Lesson learned.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced the stock white (no name but suspect they are seaworhys) with stock polks and think think they sound much better than stock but maybe it's because I'm running a cheap Pyle 6 channel amp. I ran the stock speakers with this amp as well and they sound fine, much clearer and louder at all levels. Once one of the stock speakers blew I decided to upgrade to four used polks from another a member here as well as new speakers with LEDs for the swim deck. My only regret is the swim deck speakers. I got four used polks for $100ish and a single pair of speakers for the swim deck for $200 (Closer to $250 with remote and extra wiring) for lights I may see at night two times a year. All this to say it may be worth your time and effort to put at least a cheap four channel amp for the the in boat speakers. Or even a cheap 6 channel or a 4 / 2 combo.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can get the Polks for $130 (Walmart) and the JLs for $160 (ABT on sale now!)....so if you go on price alone....the JLs should be better. But most of the audiophiles on the forum will tell you that the JLs beat the Polks every day. I just bought a pair of the JLs to put in my boat....so I guess I'll find out soon enough!

If I were you, I'd return the Polks and put the money towards an amp and sub....then you'd be rocking!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can get the Polks for $130 (Walmart) and the JLs for $160 (ABT on sale now!)....so if you go on price alone....the JLs should be better. But most of the audiophiles on the forum will tell you that the JLs beat the Polks every day. I just bought a pair of the JLs to put in my boat....so I guess I'll find out soon enough!

If I were you, I'd return the Polks and put the money towards an amp and sub....then you'd be rocking!
You read my mind!! I was actually surprised at the head unit capability too. It appears to be a simple plug and play as the wire set up is all ready to connect a sub and amp.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You read my mind!! I was actually surprised at the head unit capability too. It appears to be a simple plug and play as the wire set up is all ready to connect a sub and amp.
Yup...most HU have pre-amp outputs. If you buy a 5 or 6 channel amp with a sub output, it will handle the crossover for you (meaning it removes the bass from the other speakers so they don't waste energy trying to reproduce bass), so set up is really pretty simple.
  1. Chose your amp and mounting location (consider where your batteries are and where the speakers will be).
  2. Run your power wires (pos & neg) to the amp with an inline fuse near the battery on the pos line.
  3. Run an RCA cable to the HU (or two if you want front to rear fade capability)
  4. Run your speaker wires
  5. If you are adding speakers....like a sub...then you add the fun of cutting holes in the boat....the first one is a big pucker worthy....then it gets easier! LOL

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Replaced all my speakers with Polks. I remember the magnets being very large, and very heavy, so not sure if I have a different model than what you bought. I also replaced the HU with a Fusion, which is the most powerful you can buy. It is very loud and very clear, and I get compliments on it all the time. I will eventually add an amp, but its low on my priority list right now. Maybe Polk redesigned some of their newer stuff, of I have a higher end model, but I couldn't be happier with them.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Hopefully you took the defective speaker back, no reason a tweeter shouldn't be connected

Magnet weight really means nothing. This is due to different types of materials for the magnets as well as speaker design

If the polks aren't as efficient as whatever came stock/what was in there before... then yes w/o a doubt they will not be as loud. They are also designed to be more accurate sounding thus you often times loose some low end response.

Especially in a noisy boat a amp is a necessity

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I sent them all back and will revisit this project next spring. My current set up is more than enough, and has been since 2010, I just got caught up in the hype of adding a new system, just to be disappointed by the product. I'm still on the fence about upgrading to a 2017 242LS next year, so it's a balance of what if's...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had looked at improving the sound myself but usually we use the radio when we were floating and swimming and the sound was very good. So we never made any changes either.