• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Post a photo of your mid cabin speakers

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took my boat to a installer to get a new head unit put in (I know, I should have DIY) and speakers under the throttle and over port storage box. He say he didn’t have space to put anything there, Which I know is BS since tons of people here have done it. Did you have problems with depth? I just want to add some sound while driving. I did get the clarion M505 installed, but he neglected to wire the remote power for the amps. And I had to fix the motor hum by taking the head unit ground and putting inline with the amp ground.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a decent idea what shops are charging for boat audio installs these days and it blows my mind for that kind of coin they don’t know enough to trace and hook up the remote wire or use a common path to ground. I am tempted to start my own shop, charge a few bucks more but deliver a far superior install including tune. Mind telling me what you were charged? There is a thread with good photos that I did not find right off but I think someone drilled a pilot hole and used wire as a depth gauge. @Julian took some good photos of his after mounting from behind as well I think. Here is mine. Show your installer not only a speaker but a working beer tap right next to it so plenty of room ... at least in a 2016 242 LS.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem with the depth with the JL MX650's. There are screws that come thru a fair amount from the rub rail on the outside of the boat. I could see that in some cases they may contact the rear magnet in some cases, but those could be delt with if necessary. One of them was barely making contact on the port (passenger) side speaker on mine. It was a major dead spot without them, so much nicer with them.
20180520_121724.jpg
20180520_121716.jpg

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah, been looking for that thread too since I remember it too and I'm going to tackle this project next week end. One question for you: how did you pull the port speaker wires? I'm thinking starboard side will be a piece of cake by comparison. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The guy charged $200. Shoot work all the way around. I could have done it better and I'm not anal by any means. I just don't think he was too interested in crawling around behind the helm. His loss. Thanks for the photos. Time to get the drill out.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah, been looking for that thread too since I remember it too and I'm going to tackle this project next week end. One question for you: how did you pull the port speaker wires? I'm thinking starboard side will be a piece of cake by comparison. Thanks.
To get it the the port side: all the way starboard and engine compartment then snake over the storage bulkhead and you will be able to grab it through the new speaker hole.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here's a picture of mine. :)
IMG_0341.JPGIMG_0342.JPG

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also keep in mind that you can buy colored spacer rings for these speakers if you need a little more clearance. That said, I didnt need one on either side. Just watch out for the cleat backing....I posted photos of what is back there....@ me if you dont see them in that thread.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
spacer rings for these speakers if you need a little more clearance
That's a good point. I didn't think of that. I really wanted 8"s down there but the depth of the speaker vs available space...I may have to reconsider. Here we go again, wife is going to shoot me.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Driled the holes today. What a mess. But I'm on the lake with great sound while driving.now I have to get at the big sub hole next. I had to get another amp as well. And learn the proper way to wire it all. I've got 13 channels on 3 amps and lots of bridging. I'm sure they make a nice volume controller for front mid rear tower. More ml time and money. A good installer would have suggested all this and took my money. But that guy sucked.

Looks like I'm going to have to re drill the mounting screws for the port side. After sitting here looking at it a while, its crooked.

Attachments

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For those that have installed mid cabin speakers above the cup holders in the newer 24' boats.... We're your findings that the higher you went with them, the more depth? I am getting ready to cut holes this week for the Wet Sounds Revo 6's and the are pretty bulky on the backside. Just wondering if I should go ahead and order some black starboard to make spacers or not.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had plenty of space behind my install if the speakers were bigger.