• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

power port location (opinion and pics)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QALLOQ/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the above power port to install into the boat and support the on-board charger. Climbing into the boat once it is in the garage is a bit of a PITA so I was considering drilling and mounting this forward of the gas cap, maybe 1/2 way to the passenger seat.

I'm torn between actually drilling a hole on the exterior of the boat vs keeping it inside the boat and climbing in to charge it.

the boat cover would interfere with the external install to some degree, it should sit flush with the hull but could be an appearance issue.
internal would be better for weather , appearance, and fitment.
...as starters

Where have you folks installed yours and what were the pros/cons that had you put it there? would you do it differently? This is for a 212x application.

I installed mine right next to the gas opening. My batteries are also right there inside the boat also. As far as the whole in the boat, I by no means have any experience doing it. BUT I did it and it was very easy to do. As far the cover interfering, it really doesn't at all. When you are about to tighten the cover simply reach under it and plug the cord in. Then tighten as normal. Doesn't mess anything up at all.

I used this one because It looks like a Yamaha OEM and has the cord coming out the back. Zero problems http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-G...m_auto_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z1CFPR8TNZ1FK9GNGCN

Here is where I put mine. Easy to get to from either side and puts it under the cover.

WP_20130801_001_1.jpg

I installed mine right next to the gas opening. My batteries are also right there inside the boat also. As far as the whole in the boat, I by no means have any experience doing it. BUT I did it and it was very easy to do. As far the cover interfering, it really doesn't at all. When you are about to tighten the cover simply reach under it and plug the cord in. Then tighten as normal. Doesn't mess anything up at all.

I used this one because It looks like a Yamaha OEM and has the cord coming out the back. Zero problems http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-G...m_auto_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z1CFPR8TNZ1FK9GNGCN

THANKS !! I like that power port MUCH better !! and its the same size mtg diameter I believe

I put mine horizontally, mirror image from the stern light connection. Pros is that it is easy to connect from my overhead charging cord, looks symmetrical and is close to the batteries. Cons is I can't plug in easily if cover is on and (in theory) it could fill with water in a rainstorm (although it is quite water tight). I might go forward of the gas cap if I were doing it again, although I think it would stand out there...

Plus your graphic is black there. Mine is white. Lots of options out there.

@justason If you don't want to drill, how about getting an extension cord and wrapping it around a cleat or pole and letting it dangle over the side of the boat? You could then reach it from the outside without having to climb in the boat.

@justason: @davel501 shows you a wonderful location. Mine is mounted on the seat bottom wall, right next to the table mount bracket, in the interior. Of course, ours is on a lift, and we simply "plug in" as the last thing before de-boarding Miss B'Haven. Good Luck to you ! That PowerPort is such a wonderful item.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

@justason If you don't want to drill, how about getting an extension cord and wrapping it around a cleat or pole and letting it dangle over the side of the boat? You could then reach it from the outside without having to climb in the boat.

I'm not opposed to drilling. With the options presented and the pros/cons I want to make sure I don't overlook an idea or approach.

Thank you for the input everyone. I did order the more attractive power plug @geiger41 shows above........Of course to get the free shipping I had to order all sorts of other boat items pending in the wish list...drat !

Thank you all. Have a safe 4th weekend on the water !!

I hate when companies "force" you to buy more goodies

I installed mine in the port swim deck cupholder. There are several holes drilled around the charging port for drainage and I didn't have to modify my shipping or mooring covers. If I could do it again I'd install it in the same place but would go with the noco unit since it is universal and doesn't require any splicing. I have the guest proprietary port now. Marineco makes them in black and white but you have to splice in the charger leads.

P7033165.JPG

Attachments

• P7033166.JPG
    P7033166.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P7033167.JPG
    P7033167.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 18
Agree with @Ronnie. That NoCo is so much nicer than cutting the plug off your charger cord. I have only seen it offered in black though so that could be a problem for people.

I have the Guest 2611A Charger and the Marinco through hull adapter. It requires no splicing either.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_19910_-1?ICID=CRT:006933295P

I looked at those when I did mine but the reviews were terrible. Looking at what I have and what the NoCo is, I could have just bought a cheap cord of appropriate grade and cut the end off it before putting it into the inlet. That would have allowed me to take the charger out of the boat to charge the batteries in the garage over the winter. Still not the worst thing, they make plugs with screw on terminals it is just more work.

@davel501 I didn't read any reviews before I bought it. However, with what you were just saying that the reviews were bad, I quickly looked it up to read them. I am not seeing many bad reviews at all. Here are the reviews from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BB...s/B000NI38MG/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Where are you seeing the bad reviews? If I am going to be having issues with this outlet, I would like to be ahead of the game and be informed. Which, currently, it appears I am not! :)

Back