• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last posted. I was part of the 2017 Bimini trip crossing from hell!

We had minor stuff taken like our beach towels, my sons PFD, and my rash guard stolen at Bimini Sands on my 2017 trip. I left them drying on the seats and over the windshield overnight and the next day it was gone. I even considered that the wind could have blown it overboard but nowhere to be found. I've walked the entire docking area looking at the rocks and nothing.

that is because your boat looked fancier than rest of ours and it got to BS unscathed from the crossing from hell LOL

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
that is because your boat looked fancier than rest of ours and it got to BS unscathed from the crossing from hell LOL
Sounds like we know who the thief is...jk

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Diybrad, I believe @MrMoose ‘s Come and Take It flag was the only thing that has been stolen from our boats during stays at Bimini Sands. However I have never left excess items on the boat.

There have been several boat thefts from North Bimini marinas in recent years.
For what it's worth, it was probably just kids looking for a cool souvenir... Uhum, maybe just payback/karma from my younger years. There was a group of young teens running around the night that my flag was stolen... Just kinda pisses me off that they took my stainless flag pole... Now I'm using my backup bent aluminum flag pole.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably time to update that document on page 1!!

Needs:
  • CBP ROAM app added.
  • Wind/wave phone apps added (ideally a little bit on their use) Windy/Sailflow etc. and the points to look at.
  • Bimini Sands now Cove
  • New departure rule for Bahamas (or may have always been there?)
  • Health Visa (optional)

App pointers:
The key items are wind speed & direction, wave height and frequency.
Wind speed -ideally <10, less than ideal <15, painful <20 no go 15+ for any sustained amount of time.
Direction- not from the north - typically from the east (which means when you get to bimini you are in the lee of the island)
Wave Height - ideally less than 2. Less than ideal 2.5. >2.5 gets iffy.
Frequency - depends on wave height - the longer the better. 3 or less not good, 4-5 getting better, 6-8 good, 8+great

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Just wanted to throw a shoutout to those who put this thread together all those years ago. My daughter (ok "step" but whatever) and I just rode our 2005 SeaDoo RXTs from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini and back with 90% of the prep done by reading and rereading this thread. She had the time of her life and I had a pretty good time as well.

The sea was exceptionally kind to us on the way over. There was a pretty good storm about 10 miles out from Bimini that we had to avoid but even with the extra distance and fairly rough seas for that small part we managed to cross in around 3 hours with a quarter tank of fuel still in reserve (in addition to the 5 gallon tanks we both had on board). Coming back was MUCH rougher and took right at 4 hours and both units were beeping low fuel at us for the last several miles...but we still did not have to tap the 5 gallon reserves.

Oddly, after all the reading and youtubes I expected to see quite a bit of traffic coming and going but really didn't. We saw 4 fishing boats heading back to Ft. Lauderdale together about 5 miles out on our outbound journey and 2 groups of 2 boats heading to Bimini on the return. Other than that it was a big ocean and two little SeaDoos. My wife took the seaplane over and we tried to time it where she would fly over us and, perhaps, get a photo...which she did. Kinda cool if you ask me.

IMG_6590.jpg

Thanks again to the originators of the thread and those who have contributed over the years and kept it alive. What a gift you've given to those who wish to follow in your wake. Thank you.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to throw a shoutout to those who put this thread together all those years ago. My daughter (ok "step" but whatever) and I just rode our 2005 SeaDoo RXTs from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini and back with 90% of the prep done by reading and rereading this thread. She had the time of her life and I had a pretty good time as well.

The sea was exceptionally kind to us on the way over. There was a pretty good storm about 10 miles out from Bimini that we had to avoid but even with the extra distance and fairly rough seas for that small part we managed to cross in around 3 hours with a quarter tank of fuel still in reserve (in addition to the 5 gallon tanks we both had on board). Coming back was MUCH rougher and took right at 4 hours and both units were beeping low fuel at us for the last several miles...but we still did not have to tap the 5 gallon reserves.

Oddly, after all the reading and youtubes I expected to see quite a bit of traffic coming and going but really didn't. We saw 4 fishing boats heading back to Ft. Lauderdale together about 5 miles out on our outbound journey and 2 groups of 2 boats heading to Bimini on the return. Other than that it was a big ocean and two little SeaDoos. My wife took the seaplane over and we tried to time it where she would fly over us and, perhaps, get a photo...which she did. Kinda cool if you ask me.

View attachment 203740

Thanks again to the originators of the thread and those who have contributed over the years and kept it alive. What a gift you've given to those who wish to follow in your wake. Thank you.
@Andy S did a great job of putting this together I'm not Sure he will ever know how many people he encouraged and helped do this trip but he did a great job! Most of us on this forum who have done this trip owe a thanks to @Andy S in some way for making the trip easier on all of us.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 203740

Quick sidebar - I think my wife and I met you two at Edith’s last week lol. You were staying in the same complex as the other two boats in our group?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 203740

Very cool photo!!!!

I would caution people against running in and out of ports in low fuel if you can avoid it (like you have gas in a can). It can be very dangerous to enter a channel and lose propulsion, especially big ones like port everglades. The currents, waves and other vessels can cause all sorts of meyhem.

Which is why on out last trip when we just about ran out of gas going over (heavy seas and LOTS of sargassum) and arrived at Bimini Cove, I put a 5 gallon can into the tank before going into the inlet at Bimini.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Quick sidebar - I think my wife and I met you two at Edith’s last week lol. You were staying in the same complex as the other two boats in our group?
We sure did! Still can't believe y'all got cheese pizza and not lobster!!

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We sure did! Still can't believe y'all got cheese pizza and not lobster!!
Would've, but we can't eat shellfish. Glad y'all made it back smoothly though.