• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Pro sport onboard charger

Drinkwater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just bought a Prosport dual bank onboard charger. I am installing it in my 2013 242 Limited S. My concern is where to mount it. I don't want the mounting screws to hit anything vital or come out the side of the boat. Anyone have pics of an install? Thanks!

I'm surprised no one has had any ideas on this... I really don't have an answer for you, but hopefully bumping it back to the top will get you some responses.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

I have mounted them two different ways. If I remember I'll grab some pictures.

First method, was bolted onto a piece of marine lumber (or something cheaper, I have 100's of sheets laying around) and then bolted to the engine wall inside the port aft storage compartment.

Second method, was take 4 short stubby bolts, drill 4 holes in the battery box and bolt it straight to the battery box. Took 5 minutes.

I'm not too familiar with your boat set up but if your mount is carpeted, check if it's wood below the carpet. If so, use screws no more than 1/2" long. Here's a pic of my charger mounted on a carpeted wall. Wherever you choose to mount it, just look carefully at what's around it and behind it. Don't mount it where it might be in the way of loading gear or splashing water.

image.jpg

I mounted mine in a similar position to Murfs (which doesn't apply to your boat). Engine compartment wall or under the seats back by the battery would be the most common spots.

I have the 242LS but can't get you a picture, mine is mounted on the carpeted wall where the dual battery switches are installed - the other side of this wall is the engine compartment. I used the same size screws that are holding in the light pole mount on the bottom of the compartment. No issues with it.

I did like @smack. I moved the battery switch to the edge of the carpeted wall to make room for the charger.

I have the 242LS but can't get you a picture, mine is mounted on the carpeted wall where the dual battery switches are installed - the other side of this wall is the engine compartment. I used the same size screws that are holding in the light pole mount on the bottom of the compartment. No issues with it.

Smack, you may want to keep an eye on that carpet. The ProSport can reach up to 150 degrees. Not bad, but may warm up the carpet. You may want to consider mounting that to a piece of wood and then to the carpet to be 100% safe.

Good charger though.

@Drinkwater I attached the charger to an old acrylic cutting board with spacers so it sat off the board about 1/2 inch. Then I used big Velcro pieces from Lowe's and stuck them and screwed them to the cutting board. Then just stuck it to the carpet on the outside wall by the batteries. Simple, removable and no worries with screws.

Giddyupjoe. Respectfully, that sounds dangerous. Chargers need to be hard mounted to a solid surface. If Velcro is the only thing holding the charger to the hull, one good wave slam could send that charger flying, cables could disconnect, sparks, etc.
Am I not understanding your setup?

@ChargerGuy You are understanding correctly. That is the set up I got from reading previous posts on the mounting subject from another Jet boat site. I understand what you are saying and never really thought that part through. Thanks for the heads up.

Just don't drill into any surface where you are unable to confirm what is on the other side....period. Find another location or another means of attachment.
Avoid mounting to the sole, although it's usually 0.75" thick, close to the exterior hull where the sole thins considerably, especially around the bow where the hull narrows and has a steep dead rise.
If you find a location that you are comfortable mounting to, you can use a stop on your drill bit for safety when creating your pilot holes.
Four half-inch spacers (aluminum, cut hose lengths, plastic, etc.) will serve to elevate the charger above the carpet fibers.
For the same reason, if you have a temporary house charger its a good idea not to let it rest directly on the carpeted sole overnight. Marine carpet doesn't easily catch on fire but you could leave a permanent reminder if something goes wrong.

Smack, you may want to keep an eye on that carpet. The ProSport can reach up to 150 degrees. Not bad, but may warm up the carpet. You may want to consider mounting that to a piece of wood and then to the carpet to be 100% safe.

Good charger though.

Thanks, I actually have a Guest 2611A on board but your advice is applicable regardless - I have a couple of spacers leaving about a 1/4" gap of air between the charger and the carpet - a backing board is probably a better call.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll tackle this project on Tuesday!..

If its not to late, my boat is same as yours just one year older. My charger is different (the ProSport looks pretty big) but the idea is the same. I mounted mine in the engine compartment. I used 2 square hollow aluminum tubes as spacers between the charger and carpeted engine compartment wall. This allows air to circulate behind the unit while it is charging. It barely gets warm after being hooked up for a week. The charger can withstand higher temps even though it does not get very hot in the engine compartment after running the engines. image.jpg

OK, I installed the maintainer today. I used 2 pieces of aluminum railing to separate the charger from the carpet. Plugged it in and it works great. Now I can just plug in when I get home from the lake.
10367581_10201014025472166_456104071298794688_n.jpg

Back