• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

PSA: My Umbrella almost burned my house down (Sunvilla recall)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So this was fun. Bought this umbrella in April 2021, apparently a voluntary recall was issued in June of 2022, but I never received a notification from Costco or Sunvilla. If you have one of these purchased before then (a new model is out now), take the solar puck off the top. Really lucky this little bomb didn't land closer to the house, or under the grill, and really glad I sprung for synthetic decking. May have to replace a few boards, but that's nothing compared to what could have happened. It gets extra exciting around 1:10 in.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Holy smokes!!!!

Thanks for sharing that!

Last edited:

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
China-made stealth umbrella bomb activated by the balloons.

(very glad it just fizzled out...amen, could have been o-so-worse.)

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy cow. Talk about going from 0 to 100. It gave off no warning at all. So smoke or noise nothing just boom bottle rocketed right out of there.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn!! That explosion was no joke for such a small device.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any doubt that 90% of the crap that comes out of China is just that.....CRAP! I am more than willing to pay more for products made in reputable countries, and especially Made In USA!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the recall was for this thing just spontaneously combusting?!?!?

Usually, these things have recalls sent out based on registration, but Costco should have had all your info even if you didn't register it with the manufacturer, wtf?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the recall was for this thing just spontaneously combusting?!?!?

Usually, these things have recalls sent out based on registration, but Costco should have had all your info even if you didn't register it with the manufacturer, wtf?
Yep, link is below. But bad charge controller leading to overheating and kaboom. Somehow this is a voluntary recall, which is batshit crazy to me. Sent in another report to CPSC. I've received other recall notifications from Costco for food products and stuff. Costco knows I bought it, can still pull the receipt from 2021 from their website.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn!! That explosion was no joke for such a small device.
No Kidding! After I found the smoldered solar puck, went back to the video and watched it. Oh popped off and fizzled out, not that big a deal..... HOLY SHIT! Stayed on fire like that for a while, I have no idea how it didn't at the least, melt its way through the decking.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No Kidding! After I found the smoldered solar puck, went back to the video and watched it. Oh popped off and fizzled out, not that big a deal..... HOLY SHIT! Stayed on fire like that for a while, I have no idea how it didn't at the least, melt its way through the decking.
I thought they passed some regs or manufacturers did something...whatever...I think they add some chemical or other magic to make composite decking more fire resistant in the newer stuff, although I don't know how old your decking is. I think there were some issues with glass making a nice firestarter....damn this getting old and not remembering specifics!