• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulled the trigger :)

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Greetings all :)

At the Toronto boat show back in January, we made a deal on a 2016 242 Limited S E-Series, contingent on a water test once the ice was out on our lake.

Happy to report that all went well this past weekend, and got the go-ahead from the better half. The deal maker was the drive-by-wire throttles in the e-series vs. the ones in our 2009 AR210 - my wife couldn't stand to drive the old one, especially around the dock when going into reverse was required... with the new system, she has no issues... whoo hoo!!

Looking forward to the mod cycle starting all over again!

Derek.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since the water test was on Mother's Day, I was able to spin the new boat as part of her gift ;).

Genius, if I do say so myself!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations that's quite a gift! Keep us updated on how it performs,

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well played!
Never experienced 'accessorizing' until my Jeep and Yamaha.
Giddy up!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sweet congrats !!!

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a looooong wait, but I bet that it was worth it. It's an extra bonus to get the "war department" to approve of the boat as well. Well played. Congrats....that's a really nice boat.!!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks all... yes, it was a long wait, but worth it. I take delivery next weekend (had to get a new boat lift... old one wasn't rated high enough for the new beast), so will let everyone know how it goes :)

Mike T

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Man I like the way you think...test drive on mother's day...wonder if my wife would've gone for it . Too late now. Congrats on a great purchase keep us updated.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats Derek - nice trade-up!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well all good after a great first day on the water with the new toy! Some very slow break-in minutes, nice cruise around the lake, then some spirited tubing with the kids in tow :)

Attachments

Mike T

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Nice...Love the setup just lower and go.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since the water test was on Mother's Day, I was able to spin the new boat as part of her gift ;).

Genius, if I do say so myself!
Gee, I thought I was pretty smart getting my wife a brand new Honda lawnmower for Mother's Day. Self propelled of course. ;)

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
o.k., so after 2 weekends and 6.7 hours on the new beast, here are some observations and things I've done...

1. way more power than my AR210. wow.
2. I did the water test with the boat having only the stock steering setup. I thought it was roughly equivalent to my AR210 that had the older, smaller cobra fins installed. The dealer installed the A.K. Magnums that I dropped off, so I drove it like that for the first weekend. Much more responsive than my AR210, but I wasn't that thrilled with extra effort of turning, and reverse still, well, sucked :). This past weekend I installed the Fangs; really happy with the outcome, i.e., much easier to steer at speed, and reverse improved, almost like real reverse in an I/O :).
3. a lot quieter than my AR210 (note that I had done a lot of sound deadening in the 210, so it was actually pretty quiet compared to stock) on the first weekend, so that alone was impressive, but I can say that after about the 6 hour mark, the boat got a lot quieter. The engines have a different tone after break-in, and I found having conversations while driving much easier than before. I can also hear a lot more "water noise".
4. While the RPM limited reverse is good for my better half, I don't like it. There are times when you want that extra instant "zap" to arrest forward movement, and the 4500 limiter just doesn't do that. I know you can defeat that, but honestly, you can't go through that when you need it in an instant.
5. I love the GPS speed control, even though I'm suffering from occasional "ERR" messages on the screen that correspond with 1/2 second throttle cuts. Definitely seems location dependent (same general spots on the lake), so think there is an issue with the GPS receiver sensitivity. But that aside, I can say that taking the kids tubing is way less work than before.
6. The kids and dog love the bow section, as well as the lower swim platform - getting out of the water no longer a chore :). However, I'm really unsure why the rubber ladder strap is so strong?!? Neither my kids nor my wife can get the strap on or off, so I'm constantly going back and forth to lower the ladder and of course to secure it before taking off.
7. Last night before leaving the lake, I opened up the drain plug to see if any water had gotten in, and of course saw the clumps of metal and fiberglass shavings. My problem is that my boat lift keeps the boat pretty level, so i'm a bit uncertain how I'm going to get that crap out of there. Any suggestions would be welcome.
8. The stock sound system is way better than it used to be (Seaworthy my ass :)), but still pales to my old setup. So I ordered a JL XD800/8, 6 Polk M651UM's, and the usual wires, fuses, distribution blocks, etc., to get started on the upgrade path. Will put that in, then get a sub installed (I try to ease the mod shock to the better half by phasing in visible upgrades :)). Oh, and I also disconnected the tower tweeters. Those things really suck.
9. I love the auto-blower
10. The solar-powered trickle chargers are more useful than I thought. My AR210 had an onboard dual-bank charger with a through-hull power inlet, so I was nervous about not having that setup yet on the 242. The trickle chargers, while of course not on par with a dedicated 20 amp charger, but has so far been able to top-up the batteries after using the stock stereo for a while.

Think that's it for now... will start a separate thread to show the stereo upgrade once I get around to it :).

Cheers!

Derek