• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulling my Jet pumps -- Any advice

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a lot of advice on how to pull the jet pumps -- and I would hate to open it and see what @Big Shasta saw! But before I dive in -- Any advice on what tools / parts I should have around? Even if It is just a pull and put back in?

I am assuming some sort of locTite for the bolts, Torque bar, Bearing grease (any recommendations on brand / Type?)

Other than that -- replacement parts, obviously, if I discover and fun parts bouncing around! :)

Thanks all -- Looking forward to diving in!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lots of good info in the reference/ read this first thread (I don't think it has all been transferred to the FAQ yet).

Why are you doing this? Are you just pulling the impellers out or are you going to dissemble the cone?

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not have as much power as I should. I have a max speed of about 35MPH and I feel like I am plowing through gas. The previous owners did not maintain the boat very well -- So I am assuming that the Cone has not been greased either in a while. So yes, I am planning on taking the cone off and making sure that the bearings are still in working condition.

What I am assuming I am going to find is that the impellers are going to be chewed up -- but we will see.

Also -- @Scottintexas -- Agreed, There is a ton of great info -- I am really glad I found this site. I have been able to find instructions and visuals on pretty much every step, but it almost seems too easy. so I want to make sure I am not missing something and hopefully I do not need to pull the shaft out with my Wife's car.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is that easy. One bolt on the steering linkage, 2 10 mm bolts on the reverse bucket and 4 bolts on the outside of the pump then pull. (I think they are 14 or 15mm ??)

Make sure to re-grease the spline on the drive shaft when you put it back. (You can use the same grease as what you put in your bearing buddies)

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow- pulling the pumps was really easy! Glad that was true- good news- all the bearings appear clean sealed and greased.

Not knowing about impeller condition- they have some chips- but are they bad?image.jpgimage.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice the fishing line. Made me giggle a bit- it's just a giant vacuum-- if only my vaccuum was this much fun!

No plugs yet- motors appears to be running fine, but it is worth a look.

I am also going to try to clean a lot of this algae deposits off- any special remedy a or products people recommend? It's so hard to look at all your ocean rigs and see these mn lake pumps and feel good about them.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also- here the port side- similar to the other one- some dings, but nothing terrible, right?image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just noticed this on the starboard impeller- all three blades have it-- as if they are wearing through on the trailing edge?

image.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would have the impellers rebuilt or replace them.

How do the pump housings look? They may be worn as well.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just noticed this on the starboard impeller- all three blades have it-- as if they are wearing through on the trailing edge?

View attachment 22492
Those "wear" marks are from cavitation. You have some imperfections on the blades that are causing this. For as cheap as they are, just replace the impellers and get back to boating.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it certainly could be your impellers but mine probably look worse, it's hard to tell where the magic ding is that will cause a performance problem, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them rebuilt.

How many RPM's are you turning?

how does the silicone sealant look near the grate and tunnel?

Do you get good torque/acceleration when you gun it?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
WOW...I cant believe those are lake pumps. It must have been left in the water a lot. I would get those impellers reworked or replace them with solas if I were you, those dings can cause a lot cavitation. What do the impeller housings look like on the inside, lots of evidence of scraping. If I were you, I would rebuild the pumps completely with new bearings and seals when you replace the impellers.

I'm glad they came apart easily, nobody should have to do what I did....it was scary but I got through it.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas - I was running 10k plus rpms. So I feel like it has to be these pumps and not the motors. I am not sure what the sealant should look like, but I will take a look in the morning and post a pic if I can. This is my first jet boat and from what I have read, it should put you back in your chair in a launch, and It is no different that any other i/o I have driven- so I know there is room to gain.

@Big Shasta -- the housing looks clean- no scrapes or gouges. I have a hard time believing that they would wear completely evenly. If there was a scrape, i should be able to feel it.

For now- it appears that I should get the impellers reworked. Is sbt the place to go? Sounds like those of you who have used them have been happy with the work. Are these in good enough condition to be refurbished? I would hate to send them in and have them send me a replacement set-- when I could have upgraded for a similar price. Are the Solas worth it? I would love to have better acceleration. I live on a lake with a 40 mph speed limit- so I do not care about top end speed that much-

How about the tools to remove the impeller- just the spline tool and a couple of wrenches?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my opinion the premium you pay for Solas is not worth the minimal gain.

I was in your shoes last year and purchased OEM impellers.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Definitely have a cavitation problem with those marks...that will sap lots of power. Also make sure your bottom is clean (and I dont mean....so you can go commando! LOL)... A dirty hull will take off tons of speed too. When I was keeping my boat in the water, the algae growth would take off 17mph off my top speed 33mph vs. 50mph. I'd pull her out, clean. Her and put back in and right back to 50 again. Which is why I bought a lift!

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I agree with everyone, replace those Impellers! That thing should feel like a new boat with a new set of impellers.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On your port side, what is that area marked below? Looks like one hell of a dent/bend in the trailing edge or is it an optical illusion? That would definitely cause problems and be cause for replacement.

upload_2015-5-27_7-24-21.png

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Almost all of the impeller shave some sort of dent on the trailing edge- So yes, reading the group loud and clear- time to replace!

Now- recommendations-

Refurbished: and where?
Stock oem: and where
Solas: already have 1 vote against these- any other opinions?

To replace them- I just need the spline tool and some wrenches- also anti seize it looks like. Anything else?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A couple of thoughts running through my mind... What's the cost difference between OEM and aftermarket? Are you happy with stock performance or are you looking for a boost in hole shot or otherwise? (you're not in the mountains, but not at sea level either). I haven't researched nor have I looked at cost. I am happy with stock performance as it will pull my big ole' butt out of the hole on a slalom ski and it will do about 48 or so almost any day. It would not be worth much more money in my mind to go aftermarket but I would sure consider it.

Let those questions drive your decision and go from there. I am sure others have opinions on the aftermarkets too.