• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push-button start

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone set up their Yamaha jet boat with push-button engine start?
It would be more convenient than turning keys.

I've not read about anyone doing this....other than Mother Yamaha in the E-Series models.

The Chaps have it that way, and it is definitely a nice addition. The Chap set up is 1 key (regardless of 1 or 2 engines) you use to turn on the electronics and then a push button per engine to fire them.

The Chaps have it that way, and it is definitely a nice addition. The Chap set up is 1 key (regardless of 1 or 2 engines) you use to turn on the electronics and then a push button per engine to fire them.
Exactly what the E-Series Yamahas have. Does that only come on the X series Chaparrals or is it on all their models?

This is very easy to setup. I haven't done it to my Yamaha boat but we have done it to a couple of Yamaha Rhinos. Pretty much just put a push button jumpered across the starting relay.

Exactly what the E-Series Yamahas have. Does that only come on the X series Chaparrals or is it on all their models?

Before your question, I thought it was on all models. I have the non-tower 223VR and I have the push buttons. But I just looked at the pictures on the Vortex website and it appears the single engine 203VR and 203VRX do not have the buttons, just key start. So, single engine = key. Double engine, regardless of XR or XRX (with tower) = push button.

203 dash
V-203-Helm-16.jpg
223 dash
V-223VR-Dash-15.jpg

Turn off the key

On the Yamaha with push button start...you just push the button again to stop the engines.
Sure, but with a rigged up system like I am talking about you just turn off the key to cut 12 volt power. The push button simple acts as the starter relay giving the function of a push button start for our mature boats, in theory. Like I said, I have not done it to my boat.

Push button is neat. I bought a lexus is250 a few years ago and it had the push button start with proximity key . Really enjoyed it. Wished my F150 had it, as it was hard to go back to the standard turn key ignition. I think it would be a cool feature on a boat.

@DUSTOFF, it has been done on the older boats and I read it about it somewhere (?). It came out really nice from what I saw

You can buy a kit to convert to push button. You can either use a key for the on/off or add a proximity key. I thought about doing it, but didn't really see an upside... Other than cool factor. The main upside for me with my car is unlocking the doors without fussing with a key.

Only problem with a rigged system (aftermarket lets call it) is that if you are coming into a cove and want to turn off one engine to just idle around a second, you can't. You would have to turn the key off, then restart one engine. That is the ONLY minor issue I can come up with.

Back