• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question/ie. batteries <dual batteries>

smg1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hi. Could you all explain more about having two batteries on your boats. I have a 212SS and battery went dead while I was out on the lake. Thanks in advance. SMG1

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
With a 2 battery setup, you'll have a starting battery and a house battery. Starting is for starting and the house (typically a deep cell battery) is for music while hanging out. You'll also have a battery switch to switch between the 2 or jointly for more power and for charging purposes.

I installed 2 AGM deep cell batteries on mine along with a dedicated on-board charger. Check sig for specs. I highly recommend a charger when the boat is not in use.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dual battery set ups come in 2 primary configurations:
  1. Main & House
    • In the config, you have one battery dedicated to starting the engines and one for all other power needs. There are typically 3 switches in this setup. One fir each battery and one to combine them.
  2. Main & reserve
    • In this config, you have one primary battery and a reserve battery. There is typically one switch in this setup, with a 1, 2, combine and OFF setting. This allows you to either have everything running off battery 1 or 2, or to combine both batteries or turn them all off.
I prefer option 1 as it allows you to use both batteries all the time, and allows you to have a deep cycle battery for house loads and a cranking battery for engine starting.

Adding an ACR or automatic charging relay to either option allows the engine stators to charge both batteries.

Adding an onboard shore power charger with 2 banks allows you to charge both batteries from a dock or house power cord. This is faster and more reliable than hoping the stators can charge 2 batteries.