• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Questions for Julian about the 242X

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How much did swapping the towers out run you?
Not sure yet. Still waiting to pick up the boat. Just did the deal. The dealer said it would be easier to go this way and cap off wiring to solar panels than the reverse with wiring it in. From what I understand, the towers are the same except for the mounting points to the new bimini structure so I am led to believe it is a simple change over.

Last edited:

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How much did swapping the towers out run you?
Sorry, read your post, wrong first reply.

Actually by changing the tower the total price of the boat was 2K less.

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry, read your post wrong the first reply.

Actually by changing the tower the total price of the boat was 2K less.
oh wow. Wonder if all dealers would do this? I like the features of the E series, but not crazy about the tower and top.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck
When looking at the newer boats it seams to me that if you are getting new boat the e-series technology is very important to consider.

You can add ballast bags pretty easily, but converting a boat to be e-series is probably impossible.

Did not do a lot of research and do not know all the differences between the boats, this is just my thought from reading some items on the forum.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think the real key of the E-Series boats is the integration of all the technology seamlessly into an nice delivered package.
  • Do you need a 100% drive by wire boat (buckets and throttle)....no. Does it make driving it really nice....yes!
  • Do you need ballast integrated into the Connectx screen....no....does it make it nice...yes.
  • Do you need solar panels...no...does it take away a worry about your batteries....yes.
  • Do you need a wetsounds sound bar...no...
  • Do you need push button starting...
  • Do you need auto engine sync....
  • Do you need high end upholstery...
  • Do you need carbon fiber accents and a fancy steering wheel....
  • Do you need a cool looking premium tower....
You can argue that you don't NEED any of the above....but it sure is nice to drive! If you are happy with your Toyota and don't need the Lexus features....buy the Toyota and be happy! But I think these features are quite appealing. Sure it puts the 242X up there towards a different category of boat, but it is a nice ride....and often that next category of boat has lots of "hidden" costs that push that price up quite a bit....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Julian,...perhaps you could answer this question.
How quickly do the buckets respond to the command you put to them? Is it instantaneous?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian,...perhaps you could answer this question.
How quickly do the buckets respond to the command you put to them? Is it instantaneous?
It isn't instantaneous...that would be dangerous. From memory....I'd say it is 1.5 seconds from one position to another (Neutral to open). Also, reverse RPMs are limited to 4000 with the E-Series controls.....which eliminates sub moves. :-(

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait - it lags in response to contol input? I'm not sure how instant reponse would be dangerous, since the buckets on the cable-actuated boats respond instantly.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wait - it lags in response to contol input? I'm not sure how instant reponse would be dangerous, since the buckets on the cable-actuated boats respond instantly.
The beginning of movement is immediate, it just doesn't instantly go from one position to the next like a guillotine....

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah, that makes much more sense! I am definitely enthusiastic about the "e series" stuff. Should go a long way toward making the boats easier to pilot smoothly, particularly when towing.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Have done it twice now. Took off for snow, but then got a 70+ degree day between Christmas and New Years, so went boating-
<10 min, on/off. (First time, 15)
Easy
Quick question, is it 10 minutes by yourself or with someone?

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jumped into the 242x at the Hartford boat show. Like the boat and all it's new features, but I can't stand that bimini top - it's horrible. The structure holding up the bimini is HUGE. Can't see towing it long distances with the bimini structure up. They shit the bed with that design.

Now swapping out the tower with the 242 tower like @stever40 is doing - thats a home run.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jumped into the 242x at the Hartford boat show. Like the boat and all it's new features, but I can't stand that bimini top - it's horrible. The structure holding up the bimini is HUGE. Can't see towing it long distances with the bimini structure up. They shit the bed with that design.

Now swapping out the tower with the 242 tower like @stever40 is doing - thats a home run.
Agree 100%

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Thanks sir. Will post pics as soon as it arrives.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are impatiently waiting Stever40. You have a great idea.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm seeing a trend here....MN, CT, NY boaters don't like the bimini.....all northern boaters like I used to be....which much less of a need for a HUGE ASS bimini! Yamaha should have a standard option to replace it with something simpler (which would also eliminate the solar panels).

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I would be cool with that Bimini. I deploy my Bimini most times we're out, and would love some more coverage. If I were to get a boat that large, with a bimini like that, my storage situation would obviously change, so folding it all down likely wouldn't be a concern to me.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
10 min alone