• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Race boat?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an option to buy an old school hydrostream V-king from my uncle for a good deal. It's 18' and the hull weighs under 700lb. Has a 200 merc with a hydraulic jack plate on it. New interior and new paint. Should do 90+, but in not sure my balls are that big. This is the model
Viking Page
I would be keeping my ar230v for family stuff and wake sports. Do you guys think this is too crazy?

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does it run? What's the condition of the motor? Condition of the trailer? It's obviously gonna be toy for you like a 2 seat sports car would be and only messed with occasionally. Anyone in your family willing to ride in it with you? Just some things to think about.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it's something you'd use and enjoy having, why not? For me, I'd probably use it twice for kicks and then be bored with it.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engine runs great, freshwater only. The trailer is new. With my family it would be limited to 50mph. When i was researching these boats i came across a lot of posts that said to wear an impact rated racing lifejacket and a helmet. This part of the description scares me a bit.

The Viking is a very stable boat; however, the driver must be very careful with the trim control at high speeds. Too much trim and the Viking will without warning suddenly lift straight up in the air, and often up-and-over. Be judicious with the trim (it is not a "go" button!) and you will be fine. The Viking is very forgiving when letting up suddenly on the gas, and blowout as well is usually not disastrous as the boat will tend to just lay down.​
i want a boat that will scare me a little, but not kill me. That's my main concern with this boat.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The engine runs great, freshwater only. The trailer is new. With my family it would be limited to 50mph. When i was researching these boats i came across a lot of posts that said to wear an impact rated racing lifejacket and a helmet. This part of the description scares me a bit.

The Viking is a very stable boat; however, the driver must be very careful with the trim control at high speeds. Too much trim and the Viking will without warning suddenly lift straight up in the air, and often up-and-over. Be judicious with the trim (it is not a "go" button!) and you will be fine. The Viking is very forgiving when letting up suddenly on the gas, and blowout as well is usually not disastrous as the boat will tend to just lay down.​
i want a boat that will scare me a little, but not kill me. That's my main concern with this boat.
As long as the boat is structurally/mechanically sound, it seems like it would be a lot of fun! Of course pushing the speed up (on glass smooth waters obviously), it would definitely be a good idea to wear the gear you noted to be a bit more protected than the folks in the linked promo pics. :)

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a need, a need for speed!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is all about disposable income, space, maintenance time etc. For me, I would encourage a neighbor to buy it, go out a couple of times with him with my boat and that would suffice. Kind of like when my neighbors come out with their jet skiis....lots of fun, but I don't feel the need to own one...but having a neighbor with one is perfect! :winkingthumbsup"

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the boat it’s old school. I agree that if it’s solid (no stringer rot etc) it would be a fun toy if you can afford it. Just because it does 90 mph doesn’t mean you have to go that fast. Just like a car you can build up your speed as you get comfortable with it. That was the type of boat we dreamed of having way back then as a kid. I don’t see them anymore really so keep the history of boating alive and in the family.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know,

If it was in your realm of hobbies and going fast,

If he was giving it, sure
if you're buying it, also, insurance, upgrades, repair, - is that money worth it for a few times a year?

Are you the type of person that's going to be able to hold yourself to 50mph or are you always going to push it a little further out of your comfort range for that heart pounding adrenaline fix,

also, it's not like at speed boat races with emergency crews around, if you do decide to push it, it will probably be on smooth, lonely water and if you did flip, you're going to be by yourself,

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used to have a 16’ Sidewinder with an evinrude 140. Looked a lot like the boat you’re looking at. I sold it when I bought a chaparral I/O 20 yrs ago. Even though the Chap was a great boat, I still regret selling it to this day.

So I’d say if you want it, jump at it.

Delgrad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I owned a Viking. They are beautiful boats and are fast. Different type of maintenance issues with a speed boat. My recommendation is to go to scream and fly.com and type recore. If you have a delamination in a Viking at 80 you can kill yourself. Make sure the hull is solid. The core in a Viking is notorious for needing replacement done right. You can learn to drive fast with time and patience.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I owned a Viking. They are beautiful boats and are fast. Different type of maintenance issues with a speed boat. My recommendation is to go to scream and fly.com and type recore. If you have a delamination in a Viking at 80 you can kill yourself. Make sure the hull is solid. The core in a Viking is notorious for needing replacement done right. You can learn to drive fast with time and patience.
Thanks. I've heard about the core issues. He said it's solid. He's been around boats way longer than I've been alive, and has worked in the fiberglass and carbon fiber industry for a few decades. I'll check it out to be sure. What's the best way to verify the core? I ended up on scream and fly a sand all the safety talk scared me a lot. I really don't want something that requires a helmet and impact vest to stay alive. I had that fun with my street bike, and that wouldn't unexpectedly fly up into the air.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you don't have kids have at it! It is rated for a 175 you already have a 200 on it. 90 is scary in a 35" Fountain that weighs 7,000 pounds I can't imagine the Hydrostream.

Delgrad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best way to check core is a rubber mallet , some say moisture meter. Really if it is original replace it. Mine needed core and transom. Life vest(good one), kill switch, hotfoot, blinker or trim on wheel are must haves. They are fun, just take time to learn driving them. Remember with a hydrostream you are looking as a very small running surface - gear case and pad are pretty much all that is in the water. rogue waves are not your friend.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys think this is too crazy?
Yes.

The problem is there is no way you’re going to be able to resist the urge to push it, and that is not a good thing...
My 0.02

Edit - needless to say I was talking about myself here. Lol.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I'm going to pass. I've done some risky things, but this would probably kill me. I'll go back to looking for an old jet boat with a 460 or coyote, Berkeley pump and diverter, and target 60 to 75mph max.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Funny how life changes. When I was younger I was a real adrenaline junky that xrays will prove. I still like adrenaline but now in my early 40s with one in college and two in highschool things have changed. Now one of my considerations is making sure I stay in good health to enjoy playing with my grandkids once they come along which I never even thought about before. Going 90 in a boat still sounds like fun but not with the real risk of it flipping.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. I've been rock climbing for a couple decades, jumped out an airplane 50 times, rode a street bike 150mph daily on my commute, stupid stuff in my supercharged mustang... But this seems like pushing the limit a bit far. Kind of like juggling balls of fire while standing in a pool full of gasoline. It's totally fine... until it's not.