• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

race for the remaining 2015 should be on

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my opinion people should run to get a 15 242 ls. The 16 has 2 good things to offer which is the new throttles and for some the ballast bags. This looks like a huge swing and a miss to me and I think the 17's will have to take a step back after the 16's flop. The top while it looks great up its completely not thought out it basically has to have the canvas on or you look like your driving around with a big cage in your boat. Solar panels are good I guess but not if they cost anything which for this price they did. The changes from 14 to 15 were significant and at least for me worth the price jump but now an almost 20,000 price jump in 2 years and for in my opinion again the throttle system for most that is it. Ballast but that's it didn't make it a ski boat. I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing the comptitition is feeling really good. The thing that pulled me to these boats first was the look and I was hooked when I saw the price at 53000 for a boat that was as nice as anything in the 24' range with a few trim exceptions with brands like cobalt and chaperral but all that is gone and with a 72000 price I just don't see it. Again my opinion but I'm really glad that I'm experiencing no buyers remorse with my 15. I thought I was going to want a 16 so bad expecially with all the buildup but I can honestly say I wouldn't take a 16 right now if they would sell it to me for last year's price, in fact I think that is exactly what yamaha will have to do to move these things so for all the negotiaters out there I think you will now be able to do that on a yamaha. We all have opinions and this is mine but I do hope I'm wrong it definately wouldn't be the first time.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That's only on the E series 242's. There still is "regular" 242 Limited S's that are essentially the same as the 15's.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup...the price went up by $500 for the Limited S year over year. The E-Series adds $4,000 to the limited S, which seems reasonable when you break down the add ons, but as you point out, they aren't for everyone:

1) Drive by wire system with not only speed control, but acceleration control, bucket control and throttle sync. $1500
2) Push button start $500
3) Upgraded upholstery, carbon fiber inserts and appointments $750
4) Huge bimini with solar panels $1250
Total: $4000. You can get perfect pass for $1250, but it doesn't control the gates, has no throtle sync and no acceleration control....and doesn't include installation! The remaining prices seem reasonable to me.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yup...the price went up by $500 for the Limited S year over year. The E-Series adds $4,000 to the limited S, which seems reasonable when you break down the add ons, but as you point out, they aren't for everyone:

1) Drive by wire system with not only speed control, but acceleration control, bucket control and throttle sync. $1500
Total: $4000. You can get perfect pass for $1250, but it doesn't control the gates, has no throtle sync and no acceleration control....and doesn't include installation! The remaining prices seem reasonable to me.
Help me understand please so only 500 in the limited s but what are the new options in the limited s from last year

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

OK maybe what I should have said is the e series X boat will not make it to 2017.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Help me understand please so only 500 in the limited s but what are the new options in the limited s from last year
$500 on top of a $61,500 is equivilant to just under 1% inflation factor .8% to be precise....one of the better years in terms of price hikes for Yamaha.

As for the cost of the X....harder to justify:

· Ballast-$1200 + $800 install (generous? I have no idea what the parts would cost besides the bags--perhaps $600 in the bags???) Touch screen integration is very nice.
· Sound System-$1840 + $500 install (10” sub-$140, soundbar-$600, amps $800, 2 cans $300) I looked up these price online
· Color matched upholstery-$500 (this one I'm not sure about....as it may be the same as the E-Series?)
· Billet Aluminum Steering wheel $200
· Racks $400
Total=$5440….so I guess not far off the $6K price tag….but having it delivered as an all in one package would be attractive to many. If I'd been pricing this, I would have done my best to bring it in at $69,999....that would have made a big psychological difference to those shopping for a wake boat. But based on the above, that would bring them to a very low to no margin.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$500 on top of a $61,500 is equivilant to just under 1% inflation factor .8% to be precise....one of the better years in terms of price hikes for Yamaha.

As for the cost of the X....harder to justify:

· Ballast-$1200 + $800 install (generous? I have no idea what the parts would cost besides the bags--perhaps $600 in the bags???) Touch screen integration is very nice.
· Sound System-$1840 + $500 install (10” sub-$140, soundbar-$600, amps $800, 2 cans $300) I looked up these price online
· Color matched upholstery-$500 (this one I'm not sure about....as it may be the same as the E-Series?)
· Billet Aluminum Steering wheel $200
· Racks $400
Total=$5440….so I guess not far off the $6K price tag….but having it delivered as an all in one package would be attractive to many. If I'd been pricing this, I would have done my best to bring it in at $69,999....that would have made a big psychological difference to those shopping for a wake boat. But based on the above, that would bring them to a very low to no margin.
Ya your right I think they could very done the throttles and even the ballast not changed anything else except new colors they are nice and marked the price up 4 to 5000 and I think people would've been happy and kept the price not so shocking. Sometimes less change is more when the year before was such a big difference. They should have let those changes sink in and be refined and then made another huge leap

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder how much a dealer would charge to retrofit the throttle controls on a 2015 242 LS? To me, that is the only thing that really entices me about the e-series. The push button start is nice, but should be standard, the bimini is ugly and basically permanent, as I would never leave the ramp with the naked cage above my head. Upholstery, carbon fiber, etc. is cosmetic and really if the Limited S is their flagship it should be standard as well and not worth the cost imho.

If I picked up a leftover 2015 242 LS with a retrofit throttle, that should still save me about $6,000 or more.

Last edited:

Ntlange

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I wonder how much a dealer would charge to retrofit the throttle controls on a 2015 242 LS? To me, that is the only thing that really entices me about the e-series.

If I picked up a leftover 2015 242 LS with a retrofit throttle, that should still save me about $6,000 or more.

Absolutely. This is exactly how I feel. I am going to wait it out for another long year until the 2017s hoping they incorporate the e series throttles in more boats or hope a dealer can retrofit!

There are some dealers on here, do you guys know if the e throttles can be retrofitted?

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Retrofitting the throttle would not be a simple affair. Here is what at a high level, I think would be required:
  1. Remove old throttle handle and re-route/remove cables
  2. Fill in hole from throttle handles with patch and gel coat
  3. purchase A) New SS Throttle B) New servo motors C) wiring to connect D) cover for gate motors
  4. Get new software for ConneXt system to connect to throttles (is this an upgrade to the screen...if so, new connext screen)
  5. Install all hardware and software - my guess....5-10 hours of labor at $200/hour (gel coat, hw install, sw install etc)