• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radial Tire Belt Separation Can Cause Blowouts

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have owned our SX230 since late May of 2013. When we bought her we had four new tires installed on the trailer and purchased a spare tire and wheel. By my math we had put less than 10,000 miles on those three year old trailer tires. We had two flats that were fixed by the tire shop that had sold us the tires over the three years.

Earlier this year we had the second flat and I took one of the tires in to be repaired at the dealer who sold us the tires. I asked about the tire's condition relative to our plans to tow 2,500 miles to Fort Lauderdale and back. The dealer said the tire looked good. The other tires looked similar to me and I had inflated all of them to 50 PSI cold at the beginning of the season. So I believed that our tires were good to go.

On the evening of the 18th we left home and towed approximately 4 hours toward Fort Lauderdale. The next morning we left for what we expected to be a 12 hour day that would take us to within a few hours of Fort Lauderdale. Within the first 100 miles of our tow the tire that had been recently repaired suddenly blew out. We installed the spare and had the tire replaced when we stopped for lunch. I assumed the tires were in good shape and this was simply a fluke. I had the Walmart that had replaced the blown out tire inspect the others. They had reached 60 PSI hot so we deflated them to 50 PSI hot.

Approximately 200 miles later another tire blew out. We swapped it and went to the next Walmart to have it replaced. I had them inspect the other tires and they determined that the steel belts had separated. They replaced the other two tires and we did not have any more problems on the tow to or from Fort Lauderdale.

I do not know why the belts were separated. Perhaps it has something to do with backing down this curve into the basement garage every time we take the boat out? Certainly the change from gravel to concrete increased the stress on the trailer tires.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 6.45.09 PM.png

I was unaware of the potential for belt separation before this experience. I want everyone to be aware of the possibility. Similar problems on a single axled trailer, with a smaller tow vehicle or at higher speeds could certainly be dangerous. I have read of others losing multiple tires on a tow and wonder if it was the same issue.

This is what the blown out tires looked like.

tire1.jpg tire2.jpg

Here are a couple of relevant links on belt separation;
http://usedtiresintexas.com/what-is-tire-separation/
http://www.tirefailures.com/coopertire/tirefailures.html

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer about the tires, but glad that it didn't cause any damage or injuries.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce, do you think that bias ply tires would have performed better?
The trailer had bias tires when I bought it. I would not go back, I prefer the lower rolling resistance of radial tires. Especially rolling around in the garage.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you think that tight bend in the driveway is to blame, perhaps sanding it a bit might reduce the twist on the tires? I turn around in our cul-de-sac each time I bring the boat home, but it has a fair amount of gravel so the tires get some relief.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer tires have a life expectancy of 3-5 years, not mileage.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought our 08 SX 230 the trailer had very few miles on it as the boat was stored at the lake, the crappy bias ply tires had a 2007 date code, my first trip was to Discount Tire after I picked up the boat and had 5 brand new radial tires put on the trailer and spare. I tend to put new tires on all my things well before they get to the wear bars.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its true, tyres have use by dates as they go dry and less pliable, another thought is the wonderful cheap Chinese market. Quality nowadays seems to be a thing of the past.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce for the topic and I remember hearing about this while you were headed to Bimini. I think replacement tires are my only sure fire way of trying to prevent something like this and with a single axle, I will have to stay on top of this.

Glad you were okay and everything worked out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its true, tyres have use by dates as they go dry and less pliable, another thought is the wonderful cheap Chinese market. Quality nowadays seems to be a thing of the past.
So true. Can't shop by brand anymore :(. I recently bought a set of radial Maxxis which I have used and really liked in the past. Bought it online. Not the same!
I switched to TowMax (or whatever) - after talking to my local tire guy. That's what I plan to do from now on - no online purchases, I need to actually see what I'm getting, and go with what a trailer shop sells locally.