• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ramp and clamp or boat buddy 2 or just the strap?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I went back and was reading the threads about the rp and clamp and boat buddy 2. Most of the threads of a year old atleast. I was wondering what the current opinions are for either product.. if we go boating... we trailer! We have the loading and unloading almost locked down but I am all for anything that makes it easier. Thoughts, oppinions... all are welcome.. well. ... most all!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am also interested in this product @bronze_10. I was almost ready to pull the trigger last July but it seemed there were a few minor issues that the developer was trying to iron out. It will be good to hear from the early adopters to see how it has performed.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don't you revive one of the old threads and pose the question there? Will likely get more eyes on. Just a thought.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i have had zero issues with my RNC. i silicone spray it every time so that it glides nicely on the bow when loading. Also i will silicon the bunk boards about every other time for easier loading. I often load by myself on our steep ramp. I would never want to go back to the roller

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No experience with the rnc but have had a few boat buddy IIs. The bb II works, however the cover is made of a thin plastic that is easily cracked if the boat hits it at the wrong angle and If the locking pin does not fully engage (go through the other side of the bb II) it will bend under the pressure of the boats bow eye. A replacement cover is $30ish but a bent pin usually requires replacement of the entire BB II. Rnc seems to be tougher and less prone to damage but the last time I checked its price was around $300 compared the the $100 a BB II goes for. Still, if I ever need to replace my bb II again it will be with an rnc.

Two other options are the red snapper which looks like an rnc but has a wireless remote which is used to engage and disengage the pin $500 and an automated system called rope a boat. Here is a video link of it. These are more than I need or would be willing to pay.

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The RNC a year or so ago would tear up the 24 footers, I returned mine before it happened but it was well documented on here somewhere. I haven't checked if there has been a new design since.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I looked at these and just never saw the value as the problem it was solving just wasn't a big issue for me, leaning over and clipping the strap wasn't hard to do.

Now..with the 242X....it is different! That bow eye is so much further down, it is nearly impossible to reach from within the boat. So I'd see more applicability to one of these for a 24' boat. That said...I'm just not sure I'd trust it to lock...I'm anal....and I prefer to pull out with BOTH a tight winch strap AND a safety chain...but that is just me. So what I do now is deploy the bow ladder, climb down and winch and safety chain her - or the driver of the vehicle does this (if this isn't me).

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the Boat Buddy II at one point on my last boat (SX230). I ended up removing it. It was not worth the trouble for me. The hard plastic case scratched my boat a few times. Half the time it didn't trip and I got in the habit of looking over the bow to determine that. At that point, it would be the same as my standard procedure which is simply leaning over and clipping the strap and safety. Also, at some point the pin got a tiny bend in it and after that it was not reliable at all. On my new 242 the bow eye is lower, but I can still clip it by leaning over the bow so that is what I continue to do. It works for some, but I don't like it.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have used Ramp and Clamp on my last 3 boats.
They were all MCs, so I can't speak to the Yamaha lineup.
I wish I had it on my 242.
It makes single person recovery so much easier and confident.

I have heard some people complain about the Rash from the device on the hull.
My bow roller was doing that too.
Wax on the device is supposed to help cut down on that. Acetone followed by wax will rid most of it.

The most important thing is your trailer launch angle. Too steep will cause it to hit or rub harder.
Try pulling trailer up higher in these situations and powering on the trailer a bit more. The bunks will help change the attack angle.

If this is too hard, spray some liquid rollers on the fwd bunks.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Due to trailering each and every time we go somewhere I think I may try one... put it on my winter mod.list.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had ramp and clamp on my 212x for 2 seasons... You have to be able to power load, but besides that it's great! You just have to learn where you need to have the trailer positioned, once you have that figured it's quick and easy, I'd recommend.