• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Refurbish Swim Platform Radio Remote and Fuel Filler ( 2006 AR 230 )

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are coming to the end of the rainy season here in Thailand and the last few days it's been monsoon weather, This year has been good really and it's not stopped me getting out in the Boat to much but as it was raining rather than stay in i decided to go and do those odd jobs on the Boat that you never seem to get around to doing, If you remember a couple of weeks ago i did a referb on the Bow light and converted it to LED well the good news is it worked really well and having got a friend to stand on the beach he could see me for much more than a mile so a great success, Ok i decided to give the Swim platform Radio remote a bit of a referbish as it suffers UV damage the same as the Bow light did so for those who are interested here we go with my step by step method of how i approached the subject again you may have a better way, .....OK.

IMG_1909.JPG
As you can see it's looking a little on the sad side

IMG_1942.JPG
Unscrew the rear tray and wedge something in to support it, Disconnect the drain hose and remove the old silicon from around the tubes, Use an 8 mil ring spanner and a Philips screwdriver to remove the Radio Remote securing screws.

IMG_1912.JPG
Very gently don't go mad we don't want to scratch anything ease a thin blade behind the remote to separate the silicon.

IMG_1914.JPG
Now it's separated clean the silicon from both surfaces, On the back of the remote you will find 10 very small Philips screws which hold the remote together remove them and put all screws in a safe place you don't want to loose any, Turn all power off at the main switch and cut the wires leaving about 4 inches on the back of the remote.

IMG_1917.JPG
Clean the surface well

IMG_1915.JPG
Your remote should now be looking like this even more sad, Ok lets go make it happy, Oh and undo your Gas cap and use a Philips screwdriver to undo the small chain holding it on and put the screw back into the cap for safe keeping.

IMG_1930.JPG
Ok same procedure as when we did the Bow light give the Remote control case and the Gas cap a good flatting with 180 grit paper and mask up the circuit board and wires and that small symbol in the middle of the case it's a little tricky but be patient, Make sure all surfaces are clean i usually wipe them with a clean cloth with some thinners on

IMG_1931.JPG
You should still have plenty of paint left from the Bow light so give them 3 coats and leave time between each coat to dry and leave overnight to harden.

IMG_1932.JPG
Wash the rubber pad in soapy water make sure it's dry and start to rebuild

IMG_1935.JPG
Solder the connections back together and use some heatshrink to insulate the joints, Check the Radio is working ok and put some new silicon around the back of the remote and screw it back in place gently, I used new screws but that's up to you.

IMG_1936.JPG
Gently tighten it until you see the silicon coming out all around the sides of the remote, Use a wet cloth and gently wipe the excess silicon away leaving a smooth joint this will set in about 24 hours and will be completely watertight, Replace the drain pipe on the rear tray and run some new silicon around the tubes then fit the rear tray back in place and replace the screws

IMG_1945.JPG
Rear tray back in place

IMG_1952.JPG
Job finished ok time to finish the Gas filler and Cap.

IMG_1939.JPG
Mask around the filler neck surround and again flat the surface with 180 paper clean all surfaces with a clean cloth with some thinners on it and give it 3 coats the same as the other parts you painted and allow time in between coats to dry, Leave overnight to dry and harden, I also painted the screws as they looked a little worse for wear and i hadn't got replacements but you don't see them when the Cap is replaced.

IMG_1940.JPG
Remove the masking tape and give the surrounding gel coat a cut and polish in case there was any over spray, Don't forget to screw the Cap back onto the chain in the filler neck with the Philips screw you screwed back into the Cap

IMG_1953.JPG
I'm pleased with that and the jobs done.

Don't forget take your time there's no rush and keep your work nice and clean enjoy doing it, If you have a problem or think there's something I've missed just let me know and i will do my best to answer any questions, Like i said this is the method i used you may have a different way of doing it, Good Luck

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks good! I will do this to mine since it bothers me that mine is yellow looking.
Did you use a special paint for plastic or is it just plain white spray paint. Also, were there nuts on those screws? Just wondering if that was the reason for lifting the tray up.

Good job as always!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that, Yes there were 8 mil nuts on the back of the screws, The paint i used was white Acrylic Lacquer the same tin i got for the refurbishment of the Bow light when i converted it to LED, I did another few jobs while i had the rear tray out which i will write about soon so it maybe a good idea to wait a while as you may want to do all three jobs at once, I will have them all sorted in the next week or so, I tend to do these jobs when it's raining and i cant get the Boat out, Good Luck and I'm pleased you like it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quite a difference! Impressive job.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quite a difference! Impressive job.
Thanks for your comment, I've just posted another job that can be done while the rear tray is removed check that one out, Thanks again.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That looks very nice! I always hated that yellow bezel around the stern stereo remote. It yellows even if it isn't stored outside or exposed to the sun much. Was the gas tank filler neck mount white before? I couldn't remember but thought it was white plastic of some sort too and didn't ever remember it yellowing. After seeing it painted white, I was wondering if it wasn't just stainless? Either way, it looks nice and thanks for posting!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks very nice! I always hated that yellow bezel around the stern stereo remote. It yellows even if it isn't stored outside or exposed to the sun much. Was the gas tank filler neck mount white before? I couldn't remember but thought it was white plastic of some sort too and didn't ever remember it yellowing. After seeing it painted white, I was wondering if it wasn't just stainless? Either way, it looks nice and thanks for posting!
It was a white plastic that had caught a few years of Sunshine and i did it just to brighten it up a little, i looked at the Horn cover also but strangely enough it was perfect with no UV damage i couldn't understand that maybe it's made of a different kind of plastic it looks brand new, Thanks for the reply.