• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing door trim on helm and closet. Which adhesive to use?

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am doing a boat workday today (while the family swims on the sandbar). One of the tasks I am undertaking is to replace the door trim on the helm and closet doors. I ordered Yamaha parts before I saw prior threads on self-adhesive stripping.

What adhesive should I use?

Thanks,

Eric

the closet door goo, glad you getting it fixed, it has been so nice on mine not to have it be an obstacle course to avoid the sticky stuff,

my repair was the mcmaster/carr self gripping (no adhesive) on the faq,

I wonder about a harder sealant like 4200 ?

I did the same as @Scottintexas. Replacing it with a non glue option seemed like the thing to do since the glue was so messy with the factory set up. It seemed like some kind of contact cement.

Same as above. The factory stuff was mastic, the same stuff auto manufactures used to put on all of there door seals. Most have since went to self grip as well.

So I tried to replace the trim around the helm door yesterday. The Yamaha part that I ordered ended up being "pre-glued" with the same sticky crap that the old one had. The job got so messy that I just threw the stupid thing out. I am going to order some of the other product that I have seen others use and try that.

I must say that the acetone did a great job of removing the old goo "twice."

E

you should be much happier even with the replacement in the trash, I love knowing I'll never open up the door to another drip of glue again,

@Eric Popper thats a bummer about the Yamaha trim doing that to you, but you'll be much happier in the end going with the other kind.

Back