• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing steering cables

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have seen a lot of the threads on this forum about replacing steering cables, including the 2008 230. I have a 2008 Limited S. What is the length of the cables, everything I have seen leads me to believe that both are 17 feet. Does anybody know the length? Thank you

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank you Captainhook for the fast response. Those are the cables I was going to order, I just needed confirmation from a seasoned veteran that I was purchasing the correct cables. Any other suggestions about cable change out along with the ones posted previously that you might have would be appreciated.
Regards, Islandstyle57

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Here's some info and tips I learned when I did mine. One thing I can tell you, you should do the control cables at the same time because you'll have most of the same parts apart. I didn't listen to the advice to do that and had to do them the next year. They're not that expensive so it's worth it.

Thanks for the advice, I changed the control cables out last year, what a difference it made!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The steering cables were even more dramatic for me! I knew one was bad but big difference.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This thread has me wondering.....as an E-Series owner....since the servos are doing all the work on moving the gates, I'd never get a preliminary "warning" or "Feel" for when my gate controls might be getting stiff....right up until.....the servo failed to move them..... a downside of technology! :-( Probably something I'll need to put into my annual "check" so as not to get caught out one day.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I wonder if those have an "overload" warning in Connext that would appear before any real damage occurred.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if those have an "overload" warning in Connext that would appear before any real damage occurred.
They throw an error....lots of people have had it happen when they reverse hard off beaches and jamb their gates.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fairly easy to check just release the unlock in the black box and move them by hand . I usually leave mine unlocked for the winter and move them monthly along with the steering to keep it from galling up. Before you drop it in for the season is the best time to check. Or if it sits for an extended time.