• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Reverse Question?

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only had the my 08 AR210 for a few months now, I have worked most of the bugs out of it but still have one thing that I'm not sure about. When I put it in reverse it goes in perfectly, however if I try to rev it up in reverse, it is very hard to push the throttles down. Is that common or normal for reverse? Forward is easy!

Mine requires about the same input to shift from neutral to either forward/reverse. Is your difficulty going from neutral to the first indent? Or just throttling after the reverse buckets are in reverse (at the first indent)?

On my 2013 240, its about the same resistance to move from idle to forward as it is to move from idle to reverse. Have you checked the linkages and looked at the thrust gates for damage or misalignment.? Try moving the throttles with the boat out of the water. Have someone look at the gates while you are moving the throttles to see if there is any binding.

Mine requires about the same input to shift from neutral to either forward/reverse. Is your difficulty going from neutral to the first indent? Or just throttling after the reverse buckets are in reverse (at the first indent)?

It's only the throttling part after the reverse buckets are down. That first part is easy, but to throttle up in reverse is not.

Have you compared between engines running and stopped? Dies it feel the same?
Could be water pressure on the gate making it harder to push.

Have you compared between engines running and stopped? Dies it feel the same?
Could be water pressure on the gate making it harder to push.

I haven't, but I will. That being said, it doesn't make any sense to me. The buckets go down easily, just like forward. It's the throttle part that is hard to push down and it's only in reverse. Maybe that is the way they designed it. I don't know, thus the question.

It should flow as easy as it does in forward. Sounds like someone replaced the cables and has them adjusted improperly or the buckets are not in the proper position. Pics of your buckets in neutral would help us.

Have you tried reving the engine in both directions while in neutral? Does it bind the same way? To rev in neutral, press the black button in on the pivot point of the binnacle (throttle lever).

If it binds when reving when you pull backwards something is binding (probably inside the binnacle). But strange that they both would bind like that at the same time.

Could be one binding and not realizing it's only one side. Need to try one at a time to prove if it's both.

I'm not sure how similar your boat is to my 2002 LX but, after doing some work on my remote controls I had a problem of not being able to move the throttles at all when my shifter was in forward. The throttles worked fine in neutral or reverse but I had moved something out of line and it was preventing the throttles from moving at all when in forward. After making an adjustment everything was back to normal and the throttles moved easily in R-N-F. You might open you remote control unit and check with a service manual to see if everything is in order and the settings for the cables are correct.

I would start by backing off the friction screws on both throttles. Then as @Murf'n'surf said try one throttle at a time to see which one or if both are binding.

The throttle cable is the same for forward and reverse. The 21' boats use a potentiometer (throttle by wire), but the only place that a different input could take place would be at the binnacles. I agree with @Julian, try pushing in the black button on the pivoting point of the throttle (one on each side). This will disengage control to the reverse bucket, leaving it in neutral. See if it moves more freely. Other than that, I'm pretty sure (like the other guys) that it's something to do with the throttle controls themselves.

Ok, went out and started it up, both engines same time, threw it in reverse and it was just fine. Just as east in reverse as it was in forward. Also did it with it in neutral. Easy both ways. Now I'm wondering if it's all in my head. I know that on the lake more then once it felt like it was bound up, after the first position. So I don't know anymore. Tomorrow if I get time maybe I will put it apart and look at it, but tonight it was fine. This was also the first time that I've ever put it in reverse and rev'd it up, out of the water and it was different. ??????

Back