• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse Trick?

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Quick question. Does the reverse trick work, I hear about it a lot?

On my Scarab reverse is just a bucket that caps the jet nozzle and shoots water forwards forcing the boat to go backwards. The impeller is still turning in the same direction. I don't understand how simply putting the bucket down will help with anything getting lodged in the intake. It's not as if putting the boat into reverse changes the direction of the water flow through the intake therefore flushing anything out.

What I was thinking is that perhaps some of you have an option to open your grates and maybe somehow the backward momentum of the boat would allow anything stirred up in the intake to flush out?

I saw a guy the other week in the marina with really tough sinuous weeds stuck in his intake and he was giving the throttle a few hard burps in reverse. I just can't see how that wasn't making things worse. Maybe you experienced guys can enlighten me. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The last parts of the reverse trick after the boat starts moving backwards are to turn the motors off and quickly move the buckets up into the forward position, it is the force of the water being pushed back through the jet from the nuzzle to the intake that is supposed to dislodge anything that is in the intake or blocking the intake grate.

I don't think it works for a thing that is stuck behind the impeller but I front of the stator (stationary fins/veins that are angled opposite of the impeller fins). I idled through some vegetation once and had to get into the water to clear it from the bottom. Some of the vegetation was over 6' long so pulling it through the grates and or nozzle was not the best way to clear it. The trick works on jet boats as well as pwcs but it does not always work.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ohhh, thanks guys. I see there was a lot more to this trick than I imagined. I'll give it a shot next time.