• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

River marker app

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Anyone know of or use a good app with capability of dropping your own position or track for marking a path through shallow areas? I don't need all the high end features and marina information just something to Mark a trail with a little customization and text notes at points for future reference.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone know of or use a good app with capability of dropping your own position or track for marking a path through shallow areas? I don't need all the high end features and marina information just something to Mark a trail with a little customization and text notes at points for future reference.
Navionics app?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Navionics allowed you to do that in the past. I used it all the time prior to getting a good plotter in the boat. They have updated it so many times since, but I doubt they would take that away.

Good luck!

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was about to say Navionics as well. Ive not used it a lot but several of the others here in office who do the fishing tournament thing (bass boats) rely on it heavily when going out to new lakes/ locations. My main concern would be indicating where there are known obstructions in the water/ shallow areas and mainly bread crumbs so I can find my way back. I think there is a free version and then the $14.99 a month if Im not mistaken.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Navionics + is $14.99/year I just logged in and realized that is what I was using to do what you want to do. That's worth it in my book. I see that I let mine expire when I got the boat with Simrad installed.

So there is one of the cheapest ways to get what you are looking for. And the Navionics maps are second to none and updated regularly when on subscription.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I added the Navionics paid subscription and app this summer, and I like it. I dont know how to use all the features yet, but since we were heading to 2 lakes we were not familiar with, it was helpful to turn on tracking so I can see where I was, and where I had been. I was also able to label things like shoals, beaches, and anything else I needed to note. We had to pass thru a nasty storm one afternoon, and it was nice to know where I was, since I couldnt see very far. Depth is shown, easy to scroll around, zoom in and out.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Screenshot_20190807-110736_Boating HD.jpg

Here is a track. Apparently I left it on before a trip. It's a 523 mile track on land lol.

Screenshot_20190807-110957_Boating HD.jpgScreenshot_20190807-111459_Boating HD.jpg

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just marked the no wake buoys of the local river this past week with Navionics. Set up markers for the new double buoys they added. Easy, and can be dropped at any position, including your GPS position at the second you press "save"

Long-press to start, hit the question mark, select marker, and then how you wish to enter the marker's position (I always use the "Your GPS position" option). Name it and you're done.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will download and give it a try

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll ditto Navionics app. Been using it all season, both here at home and Florida, and for coastal use it also accounts for tides and tells you what they currently are doing. Also the dock to dock navigation is pretty sweet for a trip down the ICW in the dark.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does this app require Cell Service to work? As in does the GPS still record and update once a cellular connection is made again?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does this app require Cell Service to work? As in does the GPS still record and update once a cellular connection is made again?
No service required, as long as you download the maps you will need beforehand, and your device has GPS. It doesn't update, per se, you save the data you wish to keep.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Works off phone's internal GPS no cell service needed, make sure your device has internal GPS as not all do.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Works off phone's internal GPS no cell service needed, make sure your device has internal GPS as not all do.

Ok so now I feel stupid, how do I know if my I phone has internal GPS?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All iPhones have GPS. In fact all cell phones for quite a few years have a GPS radio. IPads with Cellular radio have GPS as well, in case you care to run it on an iPad.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Maprika

It’s free and so easy and simple.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so now I feel stupid, how do I know if my I phone has internal GPS?
@biffdotorg has it right. I posted this elsewhere, if you want to verify your phone has GPS that works (Android). Install the Find Device app and run it. If your phone is found, there you go.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I use a Humminbird Helix 5 fish finder with GPS and tracking. It lays a red path line (bread crumbs) on the map everywhere I go until I decide to delete. Shows markers and depth contours like underwater topography. Great for at night when I need to navigate back to the dock. I just follow the red line back through the channel. I can program waypoints. Uses satellites so not dependent on cell service.