• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

River water skiing - beach start

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
G’day from down under. Brand new to this forum and hoping you guys can help me out. Jet boating is uncommon in Australia and I’m looking for some advice from our friends over there in the USA.
Our largest river over here is the Murray River which is around 1,500 miles long.
It’s a popular river for boating and fishing and my family has been water skiing on it for 30 years.
We have always had locally made 350chev inboard boats but are looking to move to a jet boat due to continual problems we have here with submerged river red gums - huge trees that fall into the river, sink and create killer snags which can rip the undercarriage of your boat to pieces. We’ve always thought a jet is the solution to this, but they are extremely rare so we figured we should come to the USA to get one.
We camp in large groups on the river and ski from sandy beaches so we don’t need big boats. 16-19 foot fine. 5 berth plenty. Smaller size also has a lower impact and easier to tow and store.

We don’t wake board as creating huge wakes is frowned apon by other river users and also is damaging to the river banks. So the less wake the better. Rear skitow hitch is fine. Smallest draft possible is good. Strong hull good too, ideally aluminum as this would fend off any floating logs and also endure beaching better over time - but I realise most ski jet boats seem to be fibreglass.

Really love to hear from anyone who has experience in these conditions and can point me in the right direction.

I am coming to the USA (New York then Seattle, Portland, San Fran and LA) in September and could check out boats and potentially buy one on that trip.

Thanks for your help Jetboaters!

Ross from Australia

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most of the aluminum river jets I've seen are set up for fishing....not a lounge on the river water skiing type boat. All the Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab, Chapparal etc are fiberglass/gelcoat.

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Most of the aluminum river jets I've seen are set up for fishing....not a lounge on the river water skiing type boat. All the Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab, Chapparal etc are fiberglass/gelcoat.
Thanks Julian. I figured that may be the case. So among the fibreglass hulls which do you think best suits the use I describe? I have never sighted any of the boats above down here. Web surfing would suggest a Scarab 165...?

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
G’day from down under. Brand new to this forum and hoping you guys can help me out. Jet boating is uncommon in Australia and I’m looking for some advice from our friends over there in the USA.
Our largest river over here is the Murray River which is around 1,500 miles long.
It’s a popular river for boating and fishing and my family has been water skiing on it for 30 years.
We have always had locally made 350chev inboard boats but are looking to move to a jet boat due to continual problems we have here with submerged river red gums - huge trees that fall into the river, sink and create killer snags which can rip the undercarriage of your boat to pieces. We’ve always thought a jet is the solution to this, but they are extremely rare so we figured we should come to the USA to get one.
We camp in large groups on the river and ski from sandy beaches so we don’t need big boats. 16-19 foot fine. 5 berth plenty. Smaller size also has a lower impact and easier to tow and store.

We don’t wake board as creating huge wakes is frowned apon by other river users and also is damaging to the river banks. So the less wake the better. Rear skitow hitch is fine. Smallest draft possible is good. Strong hull good too, ideally aluminum as this would fend off any floating logs and also endure beaching better over time - but I realise most ski jet boats seem to be fibreglass.

Really love to hear from anyone who has experience in these conditions and can point me in the right direction.

I am coming to the USA (New York then Seattle, Portland, San Fran and LA) in September and could check out boats and potentially buy one on that trip.

Ross from Australia
Ross, good afternoon.. while in Portland their is River City Boats about 20 minutes south and they have a pretty good selection of Yamaha boats .. nice people too.👍

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ross, good afternoon.. while in Portland their is River City Boats about 20 minutes south and they have a pretty good selection of Yamaha boats .. nice people too.👍
Thanks Dan I will check them out

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Julian. I figured that may be the case. So among the fibreglass hulls which do you think best suits the use I describe? I have never sighted any of the boats above down here. Web surfing would suggest a Scarab 165...?
Are you looking to buy new or used?

Have you ever skied behind a jet boat before? I am an ok slalom skier and it doesn't bother me, but many skiing purists will turn their nose up at the rough "table" a jet boat produces. It certainly isn't somewhere you want to hang out with on the ski.

Here is a shot of the wake while one of my employees is skiing...

But that doesn't mean you can't ski like this:
IMG_2579 (1280x853).jpg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My boat bounces off submerged trees and logs about once a year. Not saying it is good for it or it is designed to accommodate that punishment. It is one of the reasons I purchased a Yamaha jetboat. I knew I would be in a shallow river and needed nothing hanging below the boat and minimal draft. So far I am very pleased. I strongly recommend you get a Keel Guard or equal product.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Ross from Australia
G'day Ross. I have a friend that lives near Gold coast, but that's another story.
Anyway, I'm thinking, and please someone tell me I'm insane for having this idea, but have we thought about adding a keel guard the length of the keel to help protect the bottom? I know some have guards that are about 8 feet (2.6 meters) in length from the bow. I know it won't be much, but it might help alleviate some of the hits he might take. Just thinking out of the box...

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! This is only aluminum jet boat I've seen on the Colorado River set up for something other than fishing...but it's probably a bit too large for your needs : )

i286541539282580617._szw1280h1280_.jpg

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! This is only aluminum jet boat I've seen on the Colorado River set up for something other than fishing...but it's probably a bit too large for your needs : )

View attachment 91454
Hey wow that does look amazing but umm yes it’s a little kinda large. I’m thinking something a little more understated and well I’ve got to get it to Australia and tow it behind a 4wd and launch it in a river, so... cool though.
Seems like fibreglass is still the go unless I go custom...

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you looking to buy new or used?

Have you ever skied behind a jet boat before? I am an ok slalom skier and it doesn't bother me, but many skiing purists will turn their nose up at the rough "table" a jet boat produces. It certainly isn't somewhere you want to hang out with on the ski.

Here is a shot of the wake while one of my employees is skiing...

View attachment 91391

But that doesn't mean you can't ski like this:
View attachment 91392
Hi Julian
I have skied behind one but that was a very old single jet about 30 years ago. It was a converted Gilflite inboard. This is an Aussie boat builder that’s been building inboards for 50 years down here. My mates and I have owned three of them over 30 years GILFLITE Boats

Anyway I digress.
As I recall that jet boat had trouble pulling a slalom skier out of the water, and now we are all 10kg heavier this issue worries me a bit. But I’m sure these new jets have more stability, better trim adjustment and much more standing start thrust to pop heavier slalom skiers up right?

The rough table doesn’t bother us as we don’t spend time back there in the middle :) We’re traditional slalom skiing mostly and teaching our kids the same stuff.

We plan to avoid submerged logs and mainly do of course. In 30 years we’ve had maybe 10 damaging encounters with logs requiring boat repair. But we are cautious and don’t travel as far as we’d like to.

The other worrying issue for me was sand as this old gilflite jet used to suck up sand so they had to get it at least 2 feet deep before even starting it. I’m assuming a yammy doesn’t have this sort of issue...?

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh yes and I guess I was thinking used not new but looking at prices in the U.S. new would be do-able. However I’m sure they drop value steeply? So a 2 year old boat could be a better idea given it’s a little unknown and I’ve got to transport it to Australia....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All jet boats will suck up sand....not sure there is any way around that. A quick ingestion isn't an issue...longer will clog your cooling lines!

I've skied behind a Yamaha 19', 21', 23' and 24'. I've not skied behind a 19' 4 cycle/stroke, only the 2 cycle. All pulled me up, but all had 2 engines. A single engine 19' 4 cycle will get you up....but you will feel it.....and as you say....as you age...this gets harder.

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
G'day Ross. I have a friend that lives near Gold coast, but that's another story.
Anyway, I'm thinking, and please someone tell me I'm insane for having this idea, but have we thought about adding a keel guard the length of the keel to help protect the bottom? I know some have guards that are about 8 feet (2.6 meters) in length from the bow. I know it won't be much, but it might help alleviate some of the hits he might take. Just thinking out of the box...
Thanks I’m not so familiar with keel guards either. I’ve had a look now on the web. They seem to be mainly some flexible synthetic material? How would they go in river sand? Or deflecting a log. I would think a metal keel guard would be the go - if they exist...
Good idea! Don’t the Yamaha boats have a keel ridge? Are these only fibreglass? I’d assumed that keel would be something more durable.

MurrayRiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All jet boats will suck up sand....not sure there is any way around that. A quick ingestion isn't an issue...longer will clog your cooling lines!

I've skied behind a Yamaha 19', 21', 23' and 24'. I've not skied behind a 19' 4 cycle/stroke, only the 2 cycle. All pulled me up, but all had 2 engines. A single engine 19' 4 cycle will get you up....but you will feel it.....and as you say....as you age...this gets harder.
Thanks Julian. Twin engines I think then is the go. Those SJX look sick but maybe more for moose hunting than water skiing which sounds really funny to me. But I’ve shot them an email.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks I’m not so familiar with keel guards either. I’ve had a look now on the web. They seem to be mainly some flexible synthetic material? How would they go in river sand? Or deflecting a log. I would think a metal keel guard would be the go - if they exist...
Good idea! Don’t the Yamaha boats have a keel ridge? Are these only fibreglass? I’d assumed that keel would be something more durable.
They hold up fairly well with sand, as in coming in bow to a beach to anchor. However, I'm not to sure how they would hold up with a large log. I guess any protection is better than nothing. They just add a layer of protection. How durable, I'm not sure, I guess it would depend on how often you beach it bow first or if you're constantly hitting something.