• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rock Shield??

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For any of you that tow very long distances, do you use a rock shield of any kind to protect the boat from rocks shooting up and damaging the gel coat?

I will be towing on a 4-5hr trip and I am concerned with damage.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For any of you that tow very long distances, do you use a rock shield of any kind to protect the boat from rocks shooting up and damaging the gel coat?

I will be towing on a 4-5hr trip and I am concerned with damage.
On my previous tow vehicle I had one of those flaps mounted to the hitch that ran the width of the truck. It worked great back when we regularly drove a few miles of gravel road. Before I had that, my previous boats and trailers were always dinged up. Now I have nothing like that on this tow vehicle and also have no dings. It also has never seen gravel roads either. So I stick with nothing.

Are you seeing any dings from your shorter trips, or do you plan on any gravel roads? If not I think you'll be fine.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run the flaps that mount to the hitch , I love it !!!! One of the ramp we use has a gravel parking lot , and I used to hate the sound of the tires flinging rocks !!!! But with the flaps not so much !!!!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the hitch mounted mud flaps called Rock Tammers. We travel quite a bit with the boat in tow and l feel that it helps with the rocks coming from my tires. From the random rocks from other vehicles, not so much. The semi trucks are the main culprit. I've got rock nicks on the bow of my boat and when I get enough of them or some really bad ones then I'll get them fixed. It's a part of wear and tare.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just for the piece of mind. I transported my boat from south carolina to Buffalo during the winter with out one and not a bit of road rash. I think your mud flaps on your truck (at least mine) and the truck itself protects the boat for the most part. That said I do use one that I made from a 6 foot by 1 inch by 3 inch bar stock that I sheet metal screwed door mats I got from walmart. I use a U clamp and attach it to the base of my removable hitch. Its very steardy and works well. Cost me around $25 and an hour to build.

I will load some pics

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my previous tow vehicle I had one of those flaps mounted to the hitch that ran the width of the truck. It worked great back when we regularly drove a few miles of gravel road. Before I had that, my previous boats and trailers were always dinged up. Now I have nothing like that on this tow vehicle and also have no dings. It also has never seen gravel roads either. So I stick with nothing.

Are you seeing any dings from your shorter trips, or do you plan on any gravel roads? If not I think you'll be fine.
No dings from short trips.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all...

Julian