• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rope sucked up

Rivermommyof2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2020 Yamaha Ar190 the rope got sucked all the way in I can’t pull it out and idea I can’t try

Pop the clean out port open and cut it out?
Get under the boat and cut out from
Grate area? Try spinning the impeller backwards to see if it frees it up a little. If not you’ll have to pull the jet pump/impeller off. My .02¢

Jet boat long enough it’ll happen. Sorry dude.

yep, happens to us all eventually (first trip out for me) :-)

The advice above is solid, try pulling the clean out plug (you can do this on the water) and cut it out. Be careful, the impeller can be sharp (ask me how I know). If it is too tight to get a good place to cut, try spinning the shaft backwards. If all of that fails, you will have to pull the pump. 4 bolts, easy job and there are multiple threads in the FAQ section to help. Oh, and update your profile, you are now part of an elite club :-)

drop you anchor,
pull the clean out plug
start cutting anything you see,

some people have luck unwinding the rope but I've never had enough patience/time to do that,

If it is really wedged in there you are going to have to cut it out. Go to a hardware store and look for hook blades.

1597089048378.png

Then start hacking it out.

If it isn't wedged in there, SOME people have removed the engine spark plugs and been able to unwind it off the shaft (but I've not seen many that lucky).

At some point, simply pulling the pump off the back is easier.....but it has to be un-wedged to do that.

Thanks so much everyone. I’ll try when I get home.

If it is really wedged in there you are going to have to cut it out. Go to a hardware store and look for hook blades.

View attachment 129356

If it isn't wedged in there, SOME people have removed the engine spark plugs and been able to unwind it off the shaft (but I've not seen many that lucky).

At some point, simply pulling the pump off the back is easier.....but it has to be un-wedged to do that.
Thanks

View attachment 129356

That hook knife is really cool. I always kept a carpet knife! Gonna have to find one of those.

Attachments

• D86D9671-333B-4908-AB1B-46EEBE17D918.png
    D86D9671-333B-4908-AB1B-46EEBE17D918.png
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 21
I have never had to cut a rope yet. But it does take a long time to work it out. Spinning the impeller backward won't really work unless you pull the spark plugs (I have never had to do that). But if you are wanting to get back moving and have a 2nd rope, cutting the rope is definitely the way to go. Just start hacking at a strand; when you get it, unwrap that as much as you can, then pick another one. Repeat until clear.

If you approach from below, use extreme caution. Nothing worse than getting your wrist stuck between the intake grate while the boat is in the water. Besides, the cleanout port gives you better access.

If you want to not cut your rope, disconnect the rope on the intake side (or cut the end of it), then find where that end is coming up at the cleanout port. Pull that through. Then find where it loops the 2nd time. Pull that through. Repeat until done.

Never again will I take for granted the jet boat that I drove in the Marine Corps, that had a transmission that you could put in reverse… Why can’t every jet boat have this?

More expensive (to make, maintain, etc.)...

I know... was rhetorical. Lol

I had this happen last month. Pulled the plug and unwind the rope. Takes a few but you can do it.

Never again will I take for granted the jet boat that I drove in the Marine Corps, that had a transmission that you could put in reverse… Why can’t every jet boat have this?
You aren't by chance referring to the SURC boats are you? I was in the Navy and served in the Riverines who took over that program (small craft company) from Marine Corps. All our training was in Courthouse Bay, Camp Pendelton on the old SURCs which then later became know as the Riverine Patrol Boat (RPB).

Back