• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rope Sucker

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
After a nice long weekend on the water with 0 issues. I packed up the family to make the trip home. My little one was running back to the boat from the shower, so being the great guy I am, I tried to turn the boat on and leave him as everyone waived bye. Little to my surprise, he made it back on board super excited saying hes to fast to be left behind. Meanwhile, I sat like a duck in the water with a puzzled feeling flowing through my body. After exhausting myself all day reminding everyone to keep the ropes out the water, I guess it slipped my mind this last time and up it went into the "Protective sleeve". An hour later, SeaTow finally arrived and got us back to the Ramp at 9pm. Sometime this week I'll pull it apart and remove the rope and hope no damaged was caused.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may be able to remove the spark plugs and pull the rope out while the engine spins backwards.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Been there!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep! This has happened to me about 4 times in 8 years. It can be such a pain to deal with a sucked up rope I've become super sensitive about it. I gave up soliciting help from riders because they just don't get it. I now am my own watch-person when it comes to ropes in the water. It happened last summer and I had to take a 5 mile trip to the launch ramp on one engine.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
It happened to me the first month I owned it right in the middle of the shipping lane. That was not fun and pretty F******G scary. Me and my wife ended up jumping in and pushing the boat out the way and I always said it would never happen again lol. Never say Never.......

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep! This has happened to me about 4 times in 8 years. It can be such a pain to deal with a sucked up rope I've become super sensitive about it. I gave up soliciting help from riders because they just don't get it. I now am my own watch-person when it comes to ropes in the water. It happened last summer and I had to take a 5 mile trip to the launch ramp on one engine.
We did it a few times the first 3 years but not since. If you have cleanout ports, I've found the best and quickest way is the keep a single edge razor blade, like what is on the end of a scraper, in the boat and just use it to cut the rope. It's small enough to maneuver around the shaft (insert joke here). I don't care about saving a rope, so we have just cut them out.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
We did it a few times the first 3 years but not since. If you have cleanout ports, I've found the best and quickest way is the keep a single edge razor blade, like what is on the end of a scraper, in the boat and just use it to cut the rope. It's small enough to maneuver around the shaft (insert joke here). I don't care about saving a rope, so we have just cut them out.
Unfortunately Scarabs Don't have clean out ports.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had been slightly optimistic that the sleeve around the shaft idea might make it easier to remove a rope. I knew it wouldn't prevent a rope from being ingested...but wondered if it might make it easier to pull out....I guess not.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I had been slightly optimistic that the sleeve around the shaft idea might make it easier to remove a rope. I knew it wouldn't prevent a rope from being ingested...but wondered if it might make it easier to pull out....I guess not.
The sleeve actually did its Job. I left work early yesterday and picked the boat up, crawled underneath to inspect what exactly occurred. After working the Rope out little by little, Luckily it was a thick rope and couldn't get between the shaft and the sleeve. Once the rope pinched on the Sleeve it wrapped around itself until it became to tight for the motor to spin. Removed it and it fired right up.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was going to say that unless it made it into the pump,...it can't wrap around the shaft. Glad you got it out!

Dale Stuckey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I sucked up my first rope, got it removed but wondering if I should be concerned about the rubber piece on the end appears to be strangled, damaged?

Attachments

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I sucked up my first rope, got it removed but wondering if I should be concerned about the rubber piece on the end appears to be strangled, damaged?
It needs to be replaced or pushed back in towards the weedless shaft without tearing it. You can remove the jetpump and fix it that way, or try and cheat it with a small pick.

Yoki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It happened to me the first month I owned it right in the middle of the shipping lane. That was not fun and pretty F******G scary. Me and my wife ended up jumping in and pushing the boat out the way and I always said it would never happen again lol. Never say Never.......
That's why I always keep paddles on board.