• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rough Idle Video

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
125 hours total. 100 hour done at 90. From what I’ve found on here it’s plugs and/or coil packs. Runs good above idle.

I had a cooling hose come off at WOT a couple of days ago. Got the alerts and shut it down and got towed. I forgot about the no-wake (first problem in 5 years) restriction but most of the tow was no-wake zone. Oil clear and full. Put stainless clamps on the hoses and it ran good today other than the choppy idle.

rough idle.mov

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Time to inspect ALL the clamps including all the exhaust hose clamps and remember to try to keep the reverse hood UP when being towed to reduce the back pressure of the water flowing through the pump and being pushed into the cooling line pickup.. If memory serves me correctly This advice was first mentioned a few years ago by one of our members SWATSKI .

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That certainly doesn’t sound good

You didn’t have any idle issues before the tow ??

I would normally say start with the plugs and see what happens

If you did get water up into the cylinder I don’t really know how that would cause rough idle but smooth top end

@Neutron

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would believe the electrical conectors got soaked I would unplug as many as you can find and one at a time spray them with silicon spray and then plug them back together then soak all the wire harnesses with the silicon spray and see if the issue goes away . This is what I use and you can get it at walmart it does not have any solvents in it like others do and it works great. Funny but years ago here in Florida I would keep this in my brief case in my police car and when we had heavy rains people would break down after driving through deep water in the intersections. I would have them open their hood and I would spray their ignition with this and magically the car would start up instantly and they would look at me in disbelief. I also sprayed it on my patrol car engine so I would not get stuck.
1702161695105.png

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would believe the electrical conectors got soaked I would unplug as manu as you can find and one at a time spray them with silicon spray and then plug them back together then soak all the wire harnesses with the silicon spray and see if the issue goes away . This is what I use and you can get it at walmart it does not have any solvents in it like others do and it works great.
View attachment 212440
I second this, is the water sprayed onto the electrical components, it could cause problems. Compressed air and wd40 works great.

Was there water everywhere or just locally?

Did the air filter get wet?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you read @Scottintexas post?
Yes. I’ll start with the plugs. It’s had very little use in the last 8 months…less than 4 hours. The dipstick was all oil so I don’t think any water got in. Got smooth revs above idle to full throttle at 7600 rpm. I’ll check electrical connectors and the air filter also.