• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rub rail sealant

Kofficer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Just wanted to verify how to seal under the rub rail in back. I am a little concerned about unscrewing it till I know what I’m doing. So do You just unscrew the chrome strip and run a bead under it or does the black piece up underneath the chrome come off and seal under it? Is this really an uncommon leak area?

Are you having issues with a leak from the rub rail? If not, I would just leave it. If you are having a problem I would get some good clear silicone and run a bead behind the rail to seal it up. Should be self-explanatory once you unscrew it and start taking it loose.

Are you having issues with a leak from the rub rail? If not, I would just leave it. If you are having a problem I would get some good clear silicone and run a bead behind the rail to seal it up. Should be self-explanatory once you unscrew it and start taking it loose.
So I sealed around the clean out tray, temporarily plugged the anchor locker drain, temporarily taped around the inspection hatch. Went from several gallons of water in bilge to about a gallon. I know a gallon is somewhat of an ”allowable” amount, but this was only after about 2 hours on the water with two of us on board and not getting in and out of water a lot to have that drip off us. Not sure if there is a way to detect a leak in the rub rail bit that seems to be one of the few culprits left. My engine compartment is completely dry and ran with it open and no leaks detected coming in around back of engine/shafts.

Last edited:
The only people I've heard that go to the extent of sealing the rub rail are those who wake surf with enough ballast to sink the rub rail with full ballast. Although it does occur to me every time I use the Harbor town ramps as they are very steep and my stern rub rail is under water while I load and unload.

I'd put it on the trailer, make sure all of the plugs are in and start filling the bilge with water from a hose and start looking for water leaking out. Obviously don't get the water too high in the engine bay but make sure that there is sufficient water in there to be able to push out of wherever the leak is.

I pulled my rub rail and used ge silicone behind its fairly simple. I went about 1/3 the way up removing screws and siliconed about 1/4 way you just need someone to hold it and be careful not to kink it. We surf and I have almost eliminated all water intrusion even when surfing there is a pocket to fill with silicone behind the rub rail and it looks like the factory tried but missed during assembly, on the inside of the hull there is a bead about and inch away from were the two parts get fitted.

Copy of Resized_20190818_111633.jpeg

most of the water comes in from the clean out tray and inspection port plug the drain fill it with water and it comes out almost as fast as it fills

sealing it.jpg

Another item is a one way valve installed in the tray drain

20210601_184119.jpg

Only needed if you surf you need to plug the cleats they let water flow in

Monday, June 21, 2021.jpg

Back