• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Safety question - unpleasant

Rick Russler

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw an online article in the New York Post this morning that talked about a woman who fell off the back of a jet ski at speed and had her colon ruptured by a “40 mph” jet. How does that happen? How far astern is the jet stream dangerous?

Anyone falling off ANY boat at 40 mph probably has a chance of blowing water where it don't belong. Hell I've dove into water off my swim deck and rolled my eye lids open lol. When I was a teenager we would do all sorts of stupid crap like go flat out on my Sea Doo XP and jump off like idiots. Wonder we never broke our necks!

I think whatever happened to her was a freak accident because think of how many people rent jet skis and fall off at speed when they hit a wave. Chances are rare and I don't think the ski had much to do with it but of course could have. today's skis put out a ton of power and thrust. All PWC's and boating could be deemed "dangerous". That's the risk you take for having fun and living life.

YOLO

image.jpeg

Last edited:
But to your question, I make it a practice to always make sure people are about 6' or more away from the back of the boat before starting, and far more than that before I power up. Especially at trolling speed, I am sure there would be no problems, but a) it is a better practice in case I drive a prop boat someday and b) better safe than sorry.

Whenever I've been tossed from a ski, it's almost always off to the side. I imagine if a passenger fell directly off the back with their legs up, it'd be pretty easy to get inflated by the jet.

Whenever I've been tossed from a ski, it's almost always off to the side. I imagine if a passenger fell directly off the back with their legs up, it'd be pretty easy to get inflated by the jet.

Very true, and when you fall off as a driver, not only do you go off the side (mostly) you also take your hand off the throttle and the engine comes off power by the time you hit the water usually. If a person fell straight off the back, they were probably the passenger, and the driver was probably hard on the throttle. That would be bad.

The last time I went straight off the back of a waverunner, I had just armor all'd my seats! Never again.

I've sat in the water at the back of my boat with the engine running at idle. I was able to put my hand in the flow from the jet without injury. At idle speed it isn't going to hurt you unless you get your hand in there to the moving parts (which I don't see how you could do accidentally). I did this purely as a test to see what danger was really present when idling near people. In my opinion, at idle, the biggest concern is carbon monoxide, not jet thrust.

When on the tube at planing speed (15mph+) can audibly hear the rush of the water out of the jet. I wouldn't want any part of my body anywhere near that jet outlet at speed.

Another small piece to consider is that resistance to fluid goes up by the square of speed. Double the speed and you quadruple the force it takes to resist it. Doesn't take much velocity to make some significant force!

I wonder if she fell off the seat, with her legs on the swim deck and her ass below the deck. Maybe still trying to hold on to the grab handle. That would do it.

This may shock many of you but for many years I've allowed my wife & friends to sit on the swim deck and dangle their feet in the jet wash while underway at idle or even no wake speed. The jet wash gives a great foot massage.

I do this under certain conditions. In a calm area like a cove or inlet, little or no traffic, winds conducive to carrying the exhaust gas away from the deck area and buddy system only. Heck, I've grabbed the rear handle and jumped in to take a piss while my wife drove @ forward idle.

I'm not thumbing my nose at safety but you do realize the lawyers put these warning stickers all over our boats not the manufacturers. Many of you have removed all of your stickers for this reason. You would have a much greater chance of injuring your private parts standing up while peddling your bicycle. Ever slip off the peddle or have your chain slip and jock yourself on the crossbar or get the pointy part of the seat up your ass? You don't see any warning stickers on your bike seat.

Same danger when teaching females to water ski unless they are wearing appropriate clothing.

People have to be told many times when learning to release the rope once they are down... Folks want to hold on for dear life for some reason.

That is where a really capable teacher comes into play, I have watched people try to teach people to water ski , very interesting and it is really the capabilities of the operator that make learning easy or difficult regarding skies or wake boards etc, the driver needs to pay very close attention to the beginner and if they loose their balance the driver should be off the throttle instantly for the benefit of the skier. Soon the skier learns to bail instantly if they are falling .
I taught all my kids to water ski, I skied slalom since I was 14 hmm 52 years ago no less My grand children can ski and knee board even with me driving .

Attachments

• 20171218_ driving my ski no hands on the seat.jpg
    20171218_ driving my ski no hands on the seat.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Same danger when teaching females to water ski unless they are wearing appropriate clothing.

Theres a story from my childhood about how mom learned to waterski right around the time I was conceived. it didnt go well...in much the same way that is being addressed in this thread. Legend has it, My father was likely a fish.

:D

People have to be told many times when learning to release the rope once they are down... Folks want to hold on for dear life for some reason.
I've had two instances of a similar but slightly hilariously different problem. I've taught maybe 10 people to ski over the years. TWO of them have gotten up quickly and easily, and then ski'd for 20+ minutes. When I finally slowed to let them back in the water, they both tried to tell me they had no idea how to "stop skiing".......Each one was completely dumbfounded by the idea of just letting go of the rope and sinking back into the water. It's almost comical really.

Back