• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Samsung SmartThings

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All I can say is wow. I have started playing with the Samsung Smartthings home automation stuff and I'm totally seeing me dumping quite a bit of money into this stuff.

I picked up the home monitoring kit and programmed it today, mainly to use as a home security kit while I'm out of town camping. Tonight I was able to automate the lights in the house and turn them on and off to make it look like someone is home, and in case there is an entry into the house, it will alert me.

Now to add door locks and a few cameras. Then light bulbs that will automate as well. I'm hooked.

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As ya say.... Get ready to drain the pockets... Add also an Echo for voice commands. I use the Wink hub and its on going!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah...home automation is addictive! I bought a Lutron hub and have installed 6 lutron dimmer switches with remotes already, pair this with Alexa and my Harmony remote and the fun begins!

"Alexa turn on all the lights"
"Alexa, turn the TV off"
"Alexa turn on all the outside lights"

Also, can operate all this stuff remotely, set up geo-fencing (so as you approach the house the lights turn on/garage door opens etc), set up timers or random automation (also learns your timing and repeats it while you are away) etc.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Which Harmony remote do you have @Julian? That's likely my next addition to the lineup.

I love the combo of Alexa and the smart devices. Even if the NSA hears everything I say. ;)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which Harmony remote do you have @Julian? That's likely my next addition to the lineup.

I love the combo of Alexa and the smart devices. Even if the NSA hears everything I say. ;)
I have the Harmony Ultimate, but any of the ones with a hub will work great and are super easy to program (program it on your phone or tablet, and while you are setting the settings, it changes them live so you know it is what you want). I will say that the Harmony integration to Alexa does need to improve....but I have no doubt that will get better as time goes on!

Now I'd like to figure out if there is a way to get my Power wireless skylights to connect to Alexa and home automation. Having them open when the outside temp is below X and close if it goes below Y would be cool....not to mention just being able to voice control them! Come on Velux!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What's really fun is when you can tie it all in with IFTTT! That's when it really gets super fun (and creepy)!! @Julian You can use IFTTT to set triggers to do that, either with Echo/Google Home or independently. Is your thermostat automated (ecobee, nest etc.)? If so you can set up and IFTTT with that or independently with Echo/Google Home. Personally, I use Google home as there are more applications to connect with and API's to interface with. There is a plethora of combos with IFTTT. I set up my Google Home that Every time I asked Google Home "Who's the best wife ever" It responds with my personalized response (of course it says my wife's name etc.) and sends my wife a text with my personalized message. I also have an IFTTT if I ask My Google Home if today is a boat day, based on the forecasted temperature (70 degrees+) it will respond either a resounding, "yes, let's hit the water" or "bummer, no boat day today, but soon".

@Julian Here's a screenshot of the IFTTT Harmony portal:
upload_2017-4-22_11-26-0.png

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is needed for IFTTT integration? I have a Dot, will it work with that as well?

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the Wink hub. I started with 5-6 devices. Now I'm up to about 25 smart light switches, I have the Alexa echo in the living room with an Alexa dot in our room. I have the Nest thermostat, I have the Ring doorbell. Then I added relays that also work with Wink so that I can control my gate opener. I have my pool and pool heater on the Wink system. I also have about 6 smart outlets.

I have a schedule so that all the lights around my house turn on together automatically at sundown and turn off at sunrise.

Probably about 50 devices total! Gets expensive.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What is needed for IFTTT integration? I have a Dot, will it work with that as well?
Yes, it works with Dot too. Go to IFTTT.com and sign up. There are literally thousands of "recipes" for various devices, dive in and start playing, trial and error and you'll find various recipes you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm a big tech guy but I'll stick to good ole manual door locks and "dumb" digital theromstats. With today's spying and hacking going on there is no way I would put myself at even more of a disadvantage to "smart criminals" by using these devices and tech in my home. I'm not worried about NSA or government agencies knowing what I like to eat (they've been listening on our smart phones for years) but I would be more concerned with criminals who take advantage of people using this tech. If you can remotely and wireless access your home from anywhere so can they. I don't need an Alexa to do little things in life....that's what kids are for :D!

Last edited:

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use Smartthings for everything I can. Zwave devices, Zigbee bulbs, Harmony Hub, Amazon Echo, etc. I even have it tied into my Honeywell/ADT security system that I dont have a subscription with. If you get on the Smartthings community there are a bunch of smart devices/smart apps people have come up with and it is fun to see the different ways people have integrated it with devices both old and new. Its a very powerful hub.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length