• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 HO impulse. Taking on water? Sinking? Why?

Justin2121

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all,

So it's a long story, but I'd like to figure out what happened, if I did something wrong or should have done something.

Yesterday I was out for a day of boating with a bunch friends, took a couple people out tubing then went for two 30+ minute boat rides around the lake, no issues, went out for one last ride and as I was heading full speed back to the cottage the boat sputtered and died, the bilge started pissing out water, we were completely stopped, level and floating in the water, boat wouldn't start. I looked in the ski locker and it was beginning to fill with water, side compartments and engine bay as well (obviously that's what stopped the engine). The ski compartment had filled with hot water before (it was lake temp. water this time) so I wasn't worried, previous time we just turned on the bilge and we were good to go, this time however, that didn't happen. Ski compartment completely filled with water and started flooding into the boat, water started bubbling in from the drains at the rear seating area, it was clear that we were slowly sinking. We managed to get towed back to shore and a good 6 inches of water was in the passenger seating area, put it on the lift to check the hull, we hadn't hit anything, no holes and whatnot, the plugs were still in the back of the boat, as soon as the engine compartment drained the boat fired back up... Seemingly nothing wrong, the boat just wanted to be a submarine.

Has anybody else had this problem before? What would cause the boat to take on water? Why would the boat take on enough water in the engine compartment to snuff out the engine?

We've brainstormed and can't think of a reasonable explanation, any theory is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You either have a carbon seal problem, or your exhaust dump pipe separated from the through hull fitting.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Identifying and fixing the leak only seems like half the battle. Have you checked your oil to see if its been contaminated by water? I understand how a bad seal or loose exhaust cooling hose could cause a serious leak but why did the engine die and not restart when the engine compartment began to flood?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like the exhaust dump pipe. The carbon seal would dump that much water into the bilge. Look into the engine compartment way back on the right side of the engine and follow it all the way back to where a 3" black hose takes a 90 degree turn and passes through the hull. See if that 3" hose came off. It should have a double clamp on it... The same thing happened to me two weekends ago..

ChristopherDHall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Slugger55 saved my butt today with his post. I did an on the spot correction and after about 45 mins of bilge pump and scooping out the water the engine started and we headed back to shore.
ALTHOUGH... while in route back the actual lil engine light came on the dash. Boat acted normally, but now I’m worried. WHAT DO I DO?

ChristopherDHall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So after the exhaust dump pipe is repaired and the water drained... the engine started and ran fine, but now the dash has the engine light lit up? Suggestions?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
CanDoo Pro will reset codes. I sold mine two months ago...