• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Insurance Rates: What do you pay?

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Good Morning All- Being pretty new to boats, I was searching around to see what others are paying for insurance on their boats. I have a separate Policy for my 2014 195HOI and am paying $120 a month, a drop from the $145 I was paying last year. Does this sound reasonable or do I need to dump Progressive?

GoodByeHD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the same boat, same year, and I'm with Progressive. $321 per year.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm with Northstar Marine and with full replacement coverage I pay 670.00 a year. Same model and year.

BMF JK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We have a 2016 195 HOI . In western NY our insurance is 500 per year with State Farm . You need to get ins info from others near you , premiums vary by area and state .
I suggest shopping different insurance companies to compare .

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
yours does seem hi, I am in NY and pay 520 a year with progressive, I forget exactly what I get for the 520 but I tend to pick above average numbers for liability, just in case.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Im in south Florida and was explained we have a high number of accidents and claims but still.... I looked into boat US, but they wanted 2 years minimum of ownership same with sea tow.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
probably because you guys have a high number of boats

your boating season is way longer as well....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of factors weigh into how much you will pay:
  1. Location (where you will boat) - Ocean/great lakes will cost you more
  2. Your Age/Sex
  3. # years of ownership/boating
  4. Boating safety classes
  5. Deductible amount
  6. Amount insured
  7. Medical payment amounts
  8. liability amounts
  9. # of policies with the company
That said, $120/month sounds high! I got a quote like that over the phone from State Farm, when I called my agent it went down by half!

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the help, I'm going to have my wife call into her Policy (Handles all 6 vehicles) and see what they have to offer. I don't have progress for any other polices but my agent at the time said they had the best rates and I was in a rush to take the boat home, plus I didn't want to wait for my then girlfriend to get back to me. I guess I paid for being impatient.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thats sounds a little High. $30-50mo low end-medium options $80mo comprehensive coverage low deductable. Albeit DETROIT Scarab215HOI GREAT LAKES

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Be sure your carrier offers The option to temporarily suspend collision for a discounted rate while in storage. May not apply though to Florida. I'm ignorant to the weather and seasons there. Here in Michigan, It has snowed in Summer time June a couple times in my life. So MI winters no Boatie for Us for about 4months ahhg'

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in SW Florida, I have a 2015 215 with full coverage from progressive and I'm at $900 annual

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I'm in SW Florida, I have a 2015 215 with full coverage from progressive and I'm at $900 annual
Is that for the boat only or is it an add on to your previous policy. I'm calling them tomorrow.....

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm in NW FL also and pay around $670 on my 215 HOI from Progressive (that's with a discount paying all at once). I saw Slugger's post about SkiSafe so I decided to check that out. I got a quote online and it was around $640 - cheaper by $30, but there was a definite difference in coverage. For example my progressive policy has a zero deductible and the best I could do with SkiSafe was $500 deductible. I also get comprehensive for a named storm for no extra charge (included with the basic comprehensive) - albeit with a $2500 deductible. The SkiSafe didn't have the named storm included. When I added it with the same deductible so I could compare policies it drove the premium up to over $1,000. Wow! If you don't live on the coast you may not need that, but I did have one of my boats go through a hurricane (Ivan) and it took some damage and could have been easily been totaled. Also the liability coverage to others (bodily injury, property damage) were way higher for the Progressive policy than the SkiSafe. I think for an extra $3 a month, I'll stick with Progressive. You situation and need for different coverage my take you a different direction. Just make sure you compare all of the details not just the overall price.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I'm in NW FL also and pay around $670 on my 215 HOI from Progressive (that's with a discount paying all at once). I saw Slugger's post about SkiSafe so I decided to check that out. I got a quote online and it was around $640 - cheaper by $30, but there was a definite difference in coverage. For example my progressive policy has a zero deductible and the best I could do with SkiSafe was $500 deductible. I also get comprehensive for a named storm for no extra charge (included with the basic comprehensive) - albeit with a $2500 deductible. The SkiSafe didn't have the named storm included. When I added it with the same deductible so I could compare policies it drove the premium up to over $1,000. Wow! If you don't live on the coast you may not need that, but I did have one of my boats go through a hurricane (Ivan) and it took some damage and could have been easily been totaled. Also the liability coverage to others (bodily injury, property damage) were way higher for the Progressive policy than the SkiSafe. I think for an extra $3 a month, I'll stick with Progressive. You situation and need for different coverage my take you a different direction. Just make sure you compare all of the details not just the overall price.
Great advise! I'd rather have the boat over covered then under and have something happen and I lose my ass.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
455$ yr Daytona Beach Florida
Full coverage...

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
What the hell is going on LOL.... I had my wife call in today and they quoted $165 a month with ALL STATE. We have a Audi TTRS, 06 Dodge ram, 2015 Dodge ram, 2 Mazda RX-7's, A Mazda 6 (I'M a Car/Mazda hoarder, and motor cycles all Full coverage insured for under 3k a year. I'm not understanding why they want to charge so much for this boat. I will start looking into boat only companies and see what they have I guess. I called Skisafe and wasn't impressed with what they were offing.