• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab not able to supply standard parts.

Mzrecruitment88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Currently scarab dealers are reporting that they can not order parts for months due to a cyber attack.

This sounded fishy to me so I called their offices and they won’t return calls yet. There are messages relating to the problem on their voicemail.

anyone heard anything about this? I’m trying to buy a wakeboard tower.

Same here. Been waiting for some parts pricing for over a month.
Always disappointing to see a large company not bothering to invest a small amount of money on backups.

Currently scarab dealers are reporting that they can not order parts for months due to a cyber attack.

This sounded fishy to me so I called their offices and they won’t return calls yet. There are messages relating to the problem on their voicemail.

anyone heard anything about this? I’m trying to buy a wakeboard tower.
I had the same problem at dealer yesterday. I needed an impeller boot, had to guess at the seadoo equivalent to get a part ordered. (Also ordered another online from different place just in case)

Ughh yeah apparently they are responding now but with zero idea on delivery dates. Anyone know where to get a tower for a 2018 165 ID?

That sucks. Our local county government website experienced a cyber attack last fall and it took them over four months to get it back up and running! I would never have thought it would take so long to recover from something like that but I guess it does.

That sucks. Our local county government website experienced a cyber attack last fall and it took them over four months to get it back up and running! I would never have thought it would take so long to recover from something like that but I guess it does.

Technically speaking, it shouldn't IF proper backups are done. The problem is that companies, individuals never seem to understand the gravity of the potential problem. Or it won't affect "them" until it does. Then it's too late.

Simple backups of everything won't work, you need VERSIONING backups whereby each day/week/month a static backup is made and nothing is modified thereafter. Many companies DO backups... but it's one or two backups and they just keep updating them. The problem of course is if it gets ransomware, then that ransomware gets backed up with the rest of the data. lol So the backups now have the ransomware and there's no way to recover from that.

Versioning requires a lot more effort, storage space, etc. But, then you have many different backups. If last week's is contaminated, then you go back another week until you find the version that wasn't affected.

Sorry, I happen to work in a field where data management is CRITICAL to our business. This is done as common practice. But many industries don't seem to do this... I presume our friends at Scarab were one of those. Hopefully they recover and can learn from this. But I don't work there... lol

Great background info. I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the attack on our local county government website was indeed a ransomware attack; that may have been part of why it took so long to fully recover from.

It blows my mind that we view cyber attacks as a "no big deal" type of thing. If someone blew up a factory to shut down production, we would bomb them into oblivion. Shut it down with a cyber attack, it's no big deal, even if in some cases that rebuilding time takes just as long.

It blows my mind that we view cyber attacks as a "no big deal" type of thing. If someone blew up a factory to shut down production, we would bomb them into oblivion. Shut it down with a cyber attack, it's no big deal, even if in some cases that rebuilding time takes just as long.

I think people realize it's a big deal... costs a lot of money. But clever people hide their identities. It's impossible to track them down. Or they are in a different country and it's overly complicated to get to them. Combination.... ugh. lol

Again, if it was a physical explosion, we would be accepting They're terrorists and taking action (or more than likely, accepting they're a foreign military and dealing with that). But when it's cyber warfare, we throw our hands up and do nothing.

I just wonder what the target will have to be before we actually get real with it. A water plant? Power plant? Military installation?

I am really regretting buying a 2019 165ID. Can't find the simplest parts for it. Dealers can't give me prices or tell me availability of anything when I call. Will be selling this hunk of s***.

I did get my parts ordered and received tower, deck Matt and racks, I suggest trying a different dealer that you find through scarab website. I think they are back online

Again, if it was a physical explosion, we would be accepting They're terrorists and taking action (or more than likely, accepting they're a foreign military and dealing with that). But when it's cyber warfare, we throw our hands up and do nothing.

I just wonder what the target will have to be before we actually get real with it. A water plant? Power plant? Military installation?

I agree....we should make a decree that any and all cyber terrorists will be treated as enemy combatants - worldwide. And start killing the f'ers! Might make a career in this less appealing (and at least shorter term). Unfortunately many of them are protected by Russia and China

I agree....we should make a decree that any and all cyber terrorists will be treated as enemy combatants - worldwide. And start killing the f'ers! Might make a career in this less appealing (and at least shorter term). Unfortunately many of them are protected by Russia and China

Russia gets a bad rep because we treat them like shit and like they're still the ussr. But even in the cold war they didn't do the kind of stuff to the US that China does on there. I think we could turn Russia into a powerful ally with the proper management, and it starts with not using them as our boogeyman for everything.

The US needs to make its top priority the end of the CCP. All policy towards China should be designed to achieve those goals, and to discredit China, it's influence, and its status on the global scene.

Butnsince most of our pols basically want CCP honorary membership, won't happen.

Russia gets a bad rep because we treat them like shit and like they're still the ussr. But even in the cold war they didn't do the kind of stuff to the US that China does on there. I think we could turn Russia into a powerful ally with the proper management, and it starts with not using them as our boogeyman for everything.

The US needs to make its top priority the end of the CCP. All policy towards China should be designed to achieve those goals, and to discredit China, it's influence, and its status on the global scene.

Butnsince most of our pols basically want CCP honorary membership, won't happen.
Not sure I agree with you. A large percentage of cyber attacks are emanating out of Russia. Darkside has claimed responsibility for it and they are Russian. So I don't let them off one bit. China is just as bad if not worse - that I won't disagree with - but that doesn't mean Russia gets a pass.

Not sure I agree with you. A large percentage of cyber attacks are emanating out of Russia. Darkside has claimed responsibility for it and they are Russian. So I don't let them off one bit. China is just as bad if not worse - that I won't disagree with - but that doesn't mean Russia gets a pass.

I don't disagree, but I don't think Russia has the same deep seeded, idealogical hate of the US that China has. Russia wants to be a player and a competitor on the global scale and the US keeps vilifying them and stopping them. China wants to be the global superpower.

If Russia were to be turned, they could become a most powerful ally. Imagine if the Russian hackers were to turn their attention towards China after Russia was accepted as a capitalist democracy not that unlike the US?

I don't disagree, but I don't think Russia has the same deep seeded, idealogical hate of the US that China has. Russia wants to be a player and a competitor on the global scale and the US keeps vilifying them and stopping them. China wants to be the global superpower.

If Russia were to be turned, they could become a most powerful ally. Imagine if the Russian hackers were to turn their attention towards China after Russia was accepted as a capitalist democracy not that unlike the US?
If Russia wanted to play they've had plenty of opportunities. Deliver the members of Darkside.....would be a great start.

Back