• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scupper Valve/drain plug

Valle956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just replaced both on my 07 Sx230. Used 4600 to make sure seal was right. Waiting 48-72 hrs to fully set. My question is, do I just fill the area with water through where my water pump is? Or what is the best way to Ops check it? Kind of nervous to just put water through the engine compartment, but the drain plugs are off. Any help would be appreciated as this is the first time I do something serious to the boat.

Back story: I noticed when I launched I saw air bubbles by the engines, there was water when I drained it. I’ve been scared as people posted to do this ASAP as you never know when it will fail (Scupper Valve). When I barely started to turn it with a wrench, it just fell apart!! I hope this is the culprit. Glad the Facebook posts scared me and did this.

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just put water in the engine bay. It will go into the bilge and to both plug & scupper seals and as long as drain plug is in you should see no water leaking outside around either of them.

Valle956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just put water in the engine bay. It will go into the bilge and to both plug & scupper seals and as long as drain plug is in you should see no water leaking outside around either of them.
Awesome. Thank you. First time boat owner so I’m a bit nervous.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
shouldn’t take more than 15-20gallons to know if it will leak.

Paddy Cole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just replaced both on my 07 Sx230. Used 4600 to make sure seal was right. Waiting 48-72 hrs to fully set. My question is, do I just fill the area with water through where my water pump is? Or what is the best way to Ops check it? Kind of nervous to just put water through the engine compartment, but the drain plugs are off. Any help would be appreciated as this is the first time I do something serious to the boat.

Back story: I noticed when I launched I saw air bubbles by the engines, there was water when I drained it. I’ve been scared as people posted to do this ASAP as you never know when it will fail (Scupper Valve). When I barely started to turn it with a wrench, it just fell apart!! I hope this is the culprit. Glad the Facebook posts scared me and did this.
I will be replacing the scupper next week on my 07 AR230. I have read a few posts on this topic. Do you have any tips or suggestions?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A plumbers wrench from Home Depot/Lowes/etc works for the large nut. If your keel has a recessed area for the scupper, you will need to grind the flange of the new scupper down so it sits flush on the hull. Use 4200 sealant. Orient the scupper so the flapper hangs down. Be mindful of the safety switches attached to the cleanout tray, don't damage the switch or wiring. Take your time, it's not difficult.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will be replacing the scupper next week on my 07 AR230. I have read a few posts on this topic. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
Lots of info in the FAQ: https://jetboaters.net/faq/#faq-223

Copied below to make it easy!
  1. Scuppers--How to install new SS Scupper
  2. A Thread with more photos and part #'s
  3. A thread on borrowing pre-made scupper wrenches to fit in the small gap in the bilge.
  4. Another thread on how to do it.
  5. A discussion on if this needs to be done on models where the scupper is higher (240 series, new 210s 190s etc)

My video on the topic:

Paddy Cole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A plumbers wrench from Home Depot/Lowes/etc works for the large nut. If your keel has a recessed area for the scupper, you will need to grind the flange of the new scupper down so it sits flush on the hull. Use 4200 sealant. Orient the scupper so the flapper hangs down. Be mindful of the safety switches attached to the cleanout tray, don't damage the switch or wiring. Take your time, it's not difficult.
Thank you!

Paddy Cole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length