• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

season cut short

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well my seasons ends next Monday with a hernia operation. This season has been the least I have been on the water in 10 years and now Im down for a good 14 days. Don't see me getting out there before it's cold. Who here has been through this and when were you able to get back out

You'll have to pull double time on the water in 2015 summer to make up for the loss of 2014. :)

Reactions: 007
I have not been through a hernia operation but my father-in-law had a single hernia operation a couple of years ago, when he was 76. He is kind of a drama queen when it comes to pain but he was getting around fine in 2 days and felt fully recovered after about 10 days. His biggest problem was the pain medicine messed up digestive track, stopped him up for a couple of days.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Never had hernia surgery, but had other types....your recovery will depend on the type and severity of your surgery....but Andy is absolutely correct about the constipating factor of many anesthetics! Don't be embarrassed and ask your doc about this. Many docs neglect to tell their patients about this side effect. The good ones do, and will tell you want to take to avoid it.

Yeah Im not a big fan of pain meds but I also realize theres no medal for enduring pain when you dont have to. Like many others if you open a bottle of any codones and just waive it under my nose Im not taking a dump for 4 days. It gets to the point where my stomach hurt worse than the surgery. Sucks but it seems to be a relatively common procedure just have to stay off the googling it. Bad Idea to see video of the procedure since they are doing it open and not through the scope.

I had two. One on each side. Feels like you were kicked in the jewels the next morning. I was told to stay out of work for a month each time (desk job). A week would have been plenty. I was back to running in 4 days. You'll be fine @Evil Sports just a little sore for a few days.

Sorry for your troubles Evil,
You'll be back on your feet and on the water again before you know it!

"I don't often get hernias but when I do......"

You say back to running :eek: you mean running errands?
No, I meant running on an indoor track at the gym. Just slow light running. I don't advocate that though. I just can't sit still long and feel doctor's rules are meant for mere mortals. ;)

I had a double performed at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto... That is the ONLY work they do at the clinic / hospital...

Fist one was not too bad... after the second which they performed 2 days after 1st... i was done and down... Takes a while to repair.

Upside... body is back to lifting things, pushing things... you know the drill... LIFE !!

good luck !!!

Good Luck to you....... And here's wishing that in a few weeks, all of this will be a distant memory !
Take Care of yourself .......... We enjoy reading your posts here !:winkingthumbsup"
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I'll be right behind you, I've put mine off until the season is over as well, hope to get a couple of more trips in before I schedule mine.

Good luck with the operation Bob. Take care of yourself, the boat will still be there. Maybe you'll have an Indian Summer and can get out before it starts getting cold.
Otherwise, I hear that shoveling snow is great for a hernia. Er, wait, that was listed under "How to get a....

@Evil Sports , Bob, did you say open vs scope? These days, the scope procedure is fast and even faster recovery. I had the open done back years ago and even had to spend one night in the hospital. But again, that was years ago. I would suggest staying away from the pain pills period. They won't do much more than aspirin and your only going to have the period following the surgery when the anestisia wears off, that you ache and feel really bad. After that, tylenol will give you just about as much reduction in pain as the drugs that will have far greater side effects. If you can keep from lifting, tugging, pulling, why not recover on the boat! I would think just driving the boat and resting would be perfect! Grab a bottle of vino and take dinner out with you, leave the watersports alone and enjoy a few days of R and R on the lake listening to music and conversing...and fast recovery!

Thanks for the kind words. Its rare that Im looking forward to a 4 inch cut in my abdomen but Im ready to get it done after 4 months of discomfort. Seems like its gotten worse since I was diagnosed so Im ready.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery:cigar:

Back