• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Shorlndr center pivot maintenance

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A few things came together to bring you this story… first, my trusty grease gun was not so trusty after all. While it worked fine on my tractor pivots, bearing buddies and such, when it encountered restricted passages it felt the same as non restricted.

I went to grease the center pivot between the two axles the grease zerks on the pivot point between the two axles is on the bottom, which, will allow water to settle there.

In the past, I had greased this center pivot to excess and it made a mess, so going forward I would occasionally hit these grease points with a few pumps of the not so trusty grease gun assuming that grease was getting in there.

Yesterday I decided to make sure I was getting grease in there, and that is where the trouble began. It became clear that my grease gun was not pushing grease in there. Went and got another proper grease gun and attempted to put grease in and the handle was solid and wouldn’t move. I pulled the zerks out and found some crap in there, using the grease gun I cleared the zerks and put them back in but no joy. Pulled them out and took a seal pick and started digging around and pulled out a bunch of crap, followed by some Q tips, put the zerks back in and laid into the grease with everything I had and felt a pop and grease began to flow into the pivot.. what a pita!

Another thing that became apparent is that if grease does not get in there, and water will get in there and then sit on top of the zerk and nothing good comes of that. So my friends, be sure you give those zerks a shot of grease regularly !

4DC69561-1945-471B-9578-1D608FA9AB0A.jpeg

Last edited:
While I didn’t end up using these, this is the size zerk the trailer takes.

C5A2F77E-E858-433C-A958-36A3A46D3387.jpeg

You're so well versed in this now, I think I'll just bring mine to you for maintenance ?

Hahahhahaha…. That was about 6 hours of work and I was sweating my ass off. But as Stan Marsh would say, “You know, I learned something today”. Just be sure you grease them often and make a bit of a mess with grease spooging out and you wont have this problem..

On another note, checked the brake fluid before heading to Lake Oahe and it was right where I left it. Hub temps after 65 mph on the highway for 50 miles was 108 front axle / brake axle 118° passengers side and in the sun, 88 front axle / brake axle 90° drivers side.

Last edited:
On another note, checked the brake fluid before heading to Lake Oahe and it was right where I left it. Hub temps after 65 mph on the highway for 50 miles was 108 front axle / brake axle 118° passengers side and in the sun, 88 front axle / brake axle 90° drivers side.

If you never turn left, you'll be all right!

Is the difference due to how the boat is loaded? Seems like it's not that big of a difference, but still odd if all things are equal - the sun seems like it would make a greater difference than that on metal parts. Your theory is that's how you can tell the grease made it in and is doing its job, correct?

If you never turn left, you'll be all right!

Is the difference due to how the boat is loaded? Seems like it's not that big of a difference, but still odd if all things are equal - the sun seems like it would make a greater difference than that on metal parts. Your theory is that's how you can tell the grease made it in and is doing its job, correct?

Those temps are just fine.

Kinda, I’m just making sure that all temps are good and getting a bench mark. I’m always driving up and down hills so the brakes are getting applied frequently so I couldn’t get a “regular” reading. In the hills the braking hubs are running 146-150° The non braking hubs are usually in the 80’s. I’ll take another check on the way home and the drivers side will be in the sun.

"The grease zerks on the pivot point between the two axles is on the bottom, which, will allow water to settle there. "

Where is this grease fitting on the trailer?? I was only aware of greasing the bearings. Is this on the frame?

It’s in the bottom of the pivot between the front and rear axle springs.

Well, this is new to me - thanks. Am I to just pump grease into this area or is there a chance of seal blowout?

Looks like you're talking about this little fella - is that accessible from underneath?

1693248026990.png

Looks like you're talking about this little fella - is that accessible from underneath?

Yeah, you don't even have to take the wheels off, you can reach it between the wheels laying on the ground.

Well, this is new to me - thanks. Am I to just pump grease into this area or is there a chance of seal blowout?

No seals to blow out, the grease will spooge out on one side of the other of the pivot. Just pump the grease in there until it spooges out and wipe off excess. You may want to grease this on a few successive outings just to be sure the grease has worked it’s way around inside.

Just be sure you grease them often and make a bit of a mess with grease spooging out and you wont have this problem…
This!

I’m used to wiping my zerk fittings clean on cars because it’s dry here and nothing rusts. This is a bad plan on the boat trailer because the zerks have been rusting like crazy. I’ve just started leaving a coating of grease on them when I’m done.

Appreciate this thread! I greased them last night - 15+ pumps in each. One was really hard for the fist half dozen pumps until it finally started moving. And there's a big white sticker underneath that says "grease here periodically" - LOL, for sure put there by someone in QA and not engineering. Can't believe I've missed this maintenance for this long.

I took a trip over to Lake Oahe, about a 200 mile drive. After getting there I gave the pivots another shot of grease, passenger side relatively easy, drivers side is still stiff but doable. Other than some small creaks here and there when making a tight turn out of a driveway the trailer is virtually silent.

Back