• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So this happened at our local boat launch Friday...

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No one hurt. Supposedly it's not a dumb move, but an "emergency brake let loose."

I only ever get to experience the annoying public launch shenanigans... not the exciting, entertaining ones.

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I imagine the shit was the buzzword for a looong time. Wow

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I witnessed an event similar to this. However, I was able to help pull the truck, trailer, and boat out before it got away. It was bobbing and was sinking fast, but we got it pulled out just in time.

Crazy stuff happens at boat ramps!!!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The rumor is that there were 7 kids in the vehicle when the emergency cable "apparently broke" and the truck went into the water.

With 7 unsupervised kids in a vehicle, the cable isn't the first thing I'd suspect... it could have been much worse!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The rumor is that there were 7 kids in the vehicle when the emergency cable "apparently broke" and the truck went into the water.

With 7 unsupervised kids in a vehicle, the cable isn't the first thing I'd suspect... it could have been much worse!
Wow - that is crazy. Whenever we are loading the boat to go home, I always have everyone stay in the boat and then have 1 person go get the truck and trailer. In this instance, that would have been a good thing - I think?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks to me like a late model Lincoln Navigator or Ford Expedition. I don't think they make either of those in a manual transmission.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow - that is crazy. Whenever we are loading the boat to go home, I always have everyone stay in the boat and then have 1 person go get the truck and trailer. In this instance, that would have been a good thing - I think?
I do the same thing... though my reason is so people don't track dirt from the launch area back into the boat while unloading it! If everyone grabs a few things on the way out of the boat, we're good to go!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If the e-brake truly let go - this can only happen with a manual left in neutral.
I would never leave a manual in neutral and rely solely on the e-brake - NEVER!!!

As it is with my automatic - e-brake on, truck in park, and truck OFF!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the boat towing the truck out?!?! He looks awfully far out unless this was a river and the current caught him.

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was my Brother-in-laws truck. He is very experienced at a ramp he has used a hundred times. His only mistake was he didn't have chocks with him. image.jpg

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was the boat towing the truck out?!?! He looks awfully far out unless this was a river and the current caught him.
Yep, it is the Allegheny River. It always has a pretty decent current.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My bet....driver error....

Left it in reverse, applied parking brake, but not hard enough....AC kicked off, more power to engine and it started rolling backwards....

Or

Left it in reverse and the brake cable did go....still shouldn't have been left in reverse or neutral.

@Tranio ....how did your BILs truck end up in the water? Really curious to know how this could happen without a mistake being made....

Chris Tronzano

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last week a our marina a $150k 34' Daytona Eliminator sunk at the gas dock. Story is the guy ran across the lake without installing the drain plugs. Went into the restaurant to have dinner and when he came out saw is life jackets and soft sided cooler floating. He thought someone was messing with him. When he got down to the gas dock only the front 5 or 6 feet of the bow was above water.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd have to agree...driver error had to play a role here. Had a guy tied to the dock at my ramp yesterday. I saw water flowing full force from his 3/4 inch bilge outlet. I went to him and asked if his bilge plug was in. He said yes. I watched it for several more minutes, noticed it was still pumping full force and the starboard, stern corner was getting lower in the water so I asked him again. Are you sure the bilge plug is in because your bilge pump has been on steady for at least 5 minutes? He replied curtly YES. Another 5 minutes went by with no change so I said, go get your trailer, I'll help you pull it out before it sinks. He looked kind of angry but went to get his trailer. He had a broken winch also so getting it on the trailer was a chore. You guessed it...No bilge plug BUT he had a spare one home in his kitchen drawer. Good place for the spare huh?

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2007 Ford Expedition for sale; white, Tow package, Manuel Trans, new brakes....VERY CLEAN....inquire within

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Almost always, it's driver error.

If not from wrecklessness, from inattention to failure to take appropriate precautions. Almost all accidents are avoidable.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I haven been at that launch dock. Nice area. Our friend has a cabin along the river down by the damn. that water is nasty though. Left my sea hunt in the water over night and it took me forever to get the scum off. lol

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My bet....driver error....

Left it in reverse, applied parking brake, but not hard enough....AC kicked off, more power to engine and it started rolling backwards....

Or

Left it in reverse and the brake cable did go....still shouldn't have been left in reverse or neutral.

@Tranio ....how did your BILs truck end up in the water? Really curious to know how this could happen without a mistake being made....
Backed down ..the ramp was slippery but always is...spun first attempt... Put it in 4 wheel didn't work...tried several times to put it in 4 wheel. Each time he tried to go forward 4 wheel didn't engage therefor he slipped a little further down... Decided it was time to get help, here is where it went wrong. Put on the emergency brake, took his foot off the brake. The truck didn't move so he got out to get help. Well the emergency obviously didn't hold so before he could get 50 away it was in the drink. If he had chocks with him he would have been fine. Or if he kept his foot on the brake and sent someone to get help. Or I guess he could have stayed out of the slippery part. Obviously it was error but he has been boating since he was a kid and probably launched a boat a thousand times. And I'm telling you he is the mostsafety conscious guy I know. It can happen to any one with one wrong judgement call.