• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So this happened.. New Yamaha or Scarab

YammyCammy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
5180249B-4BBB-4290-893A-629AD615025F.jpeg 921D6AF9-7BC0-49ED-9A8A-70178D698978.jpeg 674894D2-4EE5-4A5F-A1CD-E8BF75C8E651.jpeg BA88EEF7-7BA1-4E93-A2FE-EA827C47DB56.png Our 2011 limited 242 is likely toast.
Anyone seriously compare the 242x vs scarabs 255 wake edition and ultimately choose one?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 81778 View attachment 81779 View attachment 81780 View attachment 81781 Our 2011 limited 242 is likely toast.
Anyone seriously compare the 242x vs scarabs 255 wake edition and ultimately choose one?
Wow. Please tell us more! Was it a tornado?

As far as wake surfing - there is 100x more information on Yamaha vs Scarab. So, you know more or less exactly what to expect, it is a bit less clear with the Scarab. Those new Ace engines are sounding pretty sweet no question though!

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the dock flip?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

YammyCammy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This happened on Indian Point at Tabke rock lake (8-aug). Less than a half mile from where the duck went down. We waited out an early storm but opted to tie up the rest of the day. We went back to the house to clean up and a new big storm blew through (this all happened <15 minutes after we left). Moments later the office called and said there was damage at dock 2. On the way down on the golf cart cops flew by me and when I arrived it was the tangled mess you see. Another boater had already gone out and pulled my boat from an island where it was grounded on the wonderful soft sand (heavy sarcasm). Yes, the dock flipped completely. From what I can determine something hit my tower hard and it crushed in the fiberglass (you can see the bend in the pic from the rear) There are other holes/chips/scratches all around. The engine compartment was flooded. Sadly this happened on a Wednesday of a Saturday to Saturday lake stay. My drone photo is from a couple days later after they straightened out the dock and freed up the last boats and recovered gear. That’s why the first photo is all mangled and then they look lined up but upside down in the other

Needless to say I woke up with a bad hangover

Last edited:

YammyCammy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PS. I’m a tornado magnet. This is what happened to my prior boat.
50CF6E36-621D-4030-95CC-78D2857C8408.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can we ask which resort this was? We always stay at Rock Lane. We have relatives that usually stay at Still Waters.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

YammyCammy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can we ask which resort this was? We always stay at Rock Lane. We have relatives that usually stay at Still Waters.
Timber Ridge

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open G
Boat Length
Yamaha has always had great motors. I was a strong supporter of that brand just due to reliability. I owned a GP1200R back in the 2 stroke days that was incredibly reliable and maintenance free. I recently chose a 2018 Scarab 255 Open ID as my boat due to the fact that I bought it in the Florida Keys. I prefer a center console. The Yamaha didn't offer the Length for that at the time on a center console. Closed loop cooling was high on my list. If you are running lakes and worried about ski ropes the Yamaha clean out ports make a lot of sense. The protective sleeve of the Scarab is a bit more cumbersome and can not be done on the boat... But weedlines on the ocean do not affect it as much, and engine cooling doesn't get hampered if small stuff like that gets in with closed loop cooling. It's like anything in life, just depends where you use it. I prefer 2 outboards on the ocean, but Jet boats are fun on the sandbar. Can float in a lot less! Great family boats that can fish or you can use to wakeboard. Part of the choice also could of been made by the fact that I like a boat that can move. With the Supercharged 4 Tec I can easily do 56 and get there extremely fast. My 16 year old recently got a ski rope caught in the intake and that is where a Yamaha has an advantage. I have heard of a few Yamaha's having issues going to Bimini running the weed lines as they use the Ocean or the lake to cool the motor. Either way you won't go wrong.