• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solved: Found ring of caulk stuck in exhaust cover

francis3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I need some help figuring out what to do about this ring of rubbery caulk that I found stuck in the starboard exhaust valve cover. (See pics.) I noticed it stuck in the "fingers" of the exhaust valve, partly hanging but mostly still on the inside.

The boat is 2017 212X that is new to me. Drove it for an hour in the fall and then dropped off at Yamaha dealer for winter storage and annual maintenance. Took it out for the first time this week. I spent about 2 hours playing around, including experimenting with a 750 lb transom fat sack and a WakeBooster on the port side. Prior owner did not have a WakeBooster.

The fat sac and WakeBooster could have churned up some water and shoved some debris into the exhaust, but that seems unlikely since our lake is super clean and the caulk was mostly on the inside of the valve and only about a third of it was sticking out. Plus the ring seems to be about the same diameter as the exhaust valve. Looks like maybe it was caulk applied when they attached the outer exhaust valve cover?

So, what do you think it's from and what should do about it? Should this concern me? Please advise. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7030.jpeg
    IMG_7030.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7097.jpeg
    IMG_7097.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7105.jpeg
    IMG_7105.jpeg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 43
That's normal to have come out on a new boat. Excess from the manufacturing process. Seems odd to come out of a 4 year old boat but I don't think I'd be worried about it unless you see other worrying symptoms.

Perfectly normal Yamaha exhaust after birth. A little slow in your boats case....

I was quite concerned, but I see now this is common. I also found a few similar threads this morning.

Thanks to all for the explanations. I really appreciate the quick responses and advice!

Cane here to search this exact issue. I saw mine yesterday cleaning up the boat and thought oh great what is this. Relieved to here it is normal and common.

I have a 2017 242XE with only 29 hours on it. I just noticed this happening to me last night. Glad I checked here. Thanks Jetboaters.net.

Back