• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark plugs and proper gapping

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Came across this, and even though it's 14 years old (with SUPER annoying unnecessary background music), I still learned something from it. Never considered that the coin-type spark plug gap tools could damage the plug, and I've since got an order in for this Stanley Proto gap tool recommended by @FSH 210 Sport in the past. Considering how sensitive these Yamaha's seem to be in regards to the plugs, and the potential for issues with leaving plugs in long-term, the iridium or other fancy metal plugs don't seem to offer more value for the increase in cost vs a "regular" plug that I just replace once a year (or every other year, if they're good enough).

For all of you who just assume the "pre-gapped" plugs you buy are good enough, all of the NGK's that I've bought were supposedly done, and while the number is very low, as a percentage, it's high enough (AND recommended by the manual) to check the gap on each plug prior to installation. If you're going to DIY, why would you skip the few seconds required to check the gap? At MAYBE 5 seconds per plug, that's 30 seconds for my boat, vs NOT checking to save that time, and possibly having issues out on the boat costing me HOURS to get back to port, as well as who knows how long to troubleshoot it?

Anyway, hope this helps for those unfamiliar with what or how gapping a spark plug is done.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That was a heckuva gap they threw on that irridium plug lol!

One of the many levels of Dante’s inferno produced that music…that would be awesome music while waiting on hold.

You have to wonder why that disc style gapping tool was ever invented..