• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker fit help

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am installing 6 1/2" speakers upfront on my LS2000. I wanted to install the speakers higher up which means they are on a bit of a curve.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with this since I don't think tightening up the 4 scews on the speaker mounts will draw it up close to the boat surface.

Try to disregard the brand of speaker... I went with submersible and disposable but I do have to say that they sound decent and that is without an amp. I do have a decent head unit

photo (1).JPG

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
You will have to make a ring out of something that you can sand and shape to the contour, so the speaker will sit flat.. I think the stuff a lot of guys use is " sea board" or something. Or you can use MDX board and cover it with fiberglass and resin to seal it up after you shape it..

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Can I ask why you want to mount them up high like that?? If you mount them lower by the handle they will clear the anchor locker door, and I have been told that out boats are pre wired for speakers up there...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you really want them up there use MDF.
Tape a large sheet of sandpaper to the spot you want to place the rings and move the ring back and forth (not up and down) in that spot to sand the shape into the MDF.
Once you have your shape simply brush on some resin or two-part epoxy. No cloth is necessary, you just want to seal the MDF. Paint it hi-gloss white and you'll have a tidy install.

Here's a start when ring shopping:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/A-Guide-to-Speaker-Rings-for-Fiberglass-Car-Audio-/10000000009396232/g.html

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I don't know why I was thinking MDX...,.DUH!!!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic of where the speakers are placed. I wanted them away from the cup holder, out of the way of the anchor locker, and I wanted the sound to be higher to reach more of the rear compartment than they would if they were right above the cup holder.

I am hoping for a simpler solution than MDF, sanding, etc. Do they make some kind of spongy material (i.e. dynamat stuff) that I could just tighten it up against?

They look uneven below but that is because the right side is not sitting in the hole completely because the hole needs to be widened (5 1/16" versus the 5" hole saw cut)

image.jpeg

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If you don't need it to hold a lot of pressure and you pretty much need to just full the gap, you could use some dense styrofoam insulation using the same sandpaper method as above then paint it, and put a baud of caulk around the edges to seal it up good..

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have started by cutting out some wooden rings that I am working on shaping. I saw Speaker Depth extenders that would be real nice but they are plastic and I would still have to shape them. I will use wood and then treat it and silicone it to the fiberglass.

Any other ideas?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would build ones out of reinforced bondo. If you put saran wrap on the boat you can sandwich it between boat and speaker then let it cure. Some sanding and paint and you have a beautiful and fairly tough custom speaker ring that fills the gap nicely. Cam.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@KXCam22 , I PM'd you. This is brilliant and I need more advice around this idea. Thank you!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still struggling over here. I like the wedge idea and I bought some cutting boards. The problem would be trying to cut this on the 5 degree angle. I don't have a table saw and my miter saw with a jig is not working so well. Other ideas?

I like the bondo idea if it isn't a huge mess. If it would be like putty or if there is some form of putty that I could buy to fill the wedge, that would be great. Once it cured, I could sand and paint it if that was even necessary. I hope to hear more about the bondo suggestion.

Other help?