• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer not accurate over 5000 rpm

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First impressions yesterday on our SX190...

Speedometer was not accurate at higher rpm. In fact it would fall off as I went faster. Finally managed to read GPS for speed and I was a little more impressed...

Same MPH from digital readout on multi-function display.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is your speedometer GPS based? If so it should be correct and your dealer needs to fix it.

If it is pitot based having one of these on the transom

image.jpg

Then it is a dreamometer and will never be accurate. You may be able to improve it but in my experience it will never work consistently.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you don't have much of a problem after all and that the speedo is living up to its performance capabilities....

Now, on the other hand, THIS Speedo is REALLY not working!!!!

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
not a pitot as illustrated... seems it is a little cupped wheel thru the hull fitting...

Speed not determined by GPS by the boat... Garmin GPS provided an alternate.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't seen a pilot tube in a while. My 08 has paddle wheel. We have Perfect Pass so GPS now. The old paddle wheel was fairly accurate.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a paddle wheel. The dealer should be able to make it right under warranty

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't seen a pilot tube in a while. My 08 has paddle wheel. We have Perfect Pass so GPS now. The old paddle wheel was fairly accurate.
Same here. I have a paddle wheel on my 06 and it has always been fairly accurate (when compared to GPS).

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ahhh... the paddle wheel malfunction... not critical to the fun factor, but I wanted to see that everything works.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, I misunderstood, yes the paddle-wheel is pretty accurate. You might see if there is something binding it so as to prevent it from spinning freely, but that sounds unlikely since it works some of the time... There is a potentiometer adjustment for it behind the dash.. Its a little blue thing taht can be adjusted with a small screw driver...