• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stabil or ringfree

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should any of these be used on a brand new boat? I searched and most people recommend them. But just so not know if it's ok on new motors.

While at the gas station yesterday after picking up my boat. I was filling up the truck and my friend was filling up the boat. He decided to use 93 instead of 87 recommended by yamaha. Should I even worry about that?

mattmila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, either one is fine. You can use 93 octane. It is just wasting your money when the engine can run on 87.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I try to run non ethanol fuel when I can. Most of the on the water fill ups around us have that. If I'm filling up during the season at a normal gas station.. I don't worry to much about it as I burn it up in a week or sooner. However I do make sure my last fill up is non ethanol and use marine Staybil for over winter storage.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yamaha Ring Free and Marine Grade Stabil are two separate and totally different products and both should and can be used together without fear. Ring free is a Techron based product and provides superior lubrication and protection to your engine and components within it. Stabil is a fuel stabilizer and ethanol protection. It isn't good enough to use just non ethanol fuel, if you don't continuously burn all of your fuel, it is degrading and adding tar and resins to engine components and fuel system. It is just not like a car, because a boat sits for long periods of time without fresh fuel being added, and old fuel being burned. Some may discount this being in warm climates where they use their boats more in a year round application, but those environments also contain increased humidity and increase the likelihood of condensation and water in the fuel as well. There is just not a good reason NOT to use these products. And they are recommended by both the manufacturer and by the masses on this and the previous forum. Now not everyone would do what I did, but I used Stabil in every tank, and I ran Ring Free in at least every 3rd fillup but generally every 2 fillups after I discovered it. I did not using out of the gate and I only learned about it from the membership, but then I found the recommendation in my owners and service manuals following that...used it ever since.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree they are two separate products with two separate purposes. I am a huge fan of the Stabil and have used it for 20+ years. I just put some ring free in my tank but have not run the engine so won't know anything until summer. Cam.

eekman56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I use both every time I refuel. The mechanic at my local Yamaha dealer told me the ring free is by far the best thing you can use to protect your engine.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Stabil every fill up as well. Too cheap for that insurance not to do it, especially with our humidity.

But Ring Free I have not. From the posts here, perhaps I will pick myself up a pint...

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where can I get some ring free around Frisco area?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can get it over in Lewisville at Phil Dill Boats @Kevin . Probably any Yamaha motorcycle/atv dealer will have it too, but PD has it. It is Yamaha Ring Free.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swear by Stabil. Had a tank sit for a year in another boat and it started with no problems..... Burned as much as we could and refilled ASAP, and of course, added more Stabil.....

Might have to try the Ring Free.... thought that was mainly for the 2-strokes...always learning !

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a terrible E10 problem with my boat. Many dollars and hours latter and I swear by the Marine (blue) Stabil. I had always used the regular (red) stabil before E10 in all my equipment. This was an expensive lesson and not just with the boat. Use it! It's too cheap to insure against latter problems.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ringfree now goes by Engine Med RX. It is recommended by Yamaha and its in your owners manual. The mechanic where I bought my boat suggested it as well. Id suggest it.

mattmila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info!!!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ringfree now goes by Engine Med RX. It is recommended by Yamaha and its in your owners manual. The mechanic where I bought my boat suggested it as well. Id suggest it.
Thanks. I thought the name had changed. I am going to start using this as well based on suggestions here and the previous forum.

I have been running non-ethanol gas which only comes in 93 octane around here. I am nervous to go to 87 octane (ethanol) with Stabil based on all of the known issues with ethanol. Am I wrong to thing it is safer just to avoid ethanol all together?

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's everyone's opinion on Star Brite tron gas additive?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would the ring free be considered an upper cylinder lube?
Some octane boost / fuel treatment quality improver's are advertised this way?
Does the new name have stabil in it already?

Jet boat pilot sells it by the Gallon, $36.00 Fuel Med-RX

Last edited:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I called my local dealer and they didn't have any Fuel Med-RX. Many places online carry it but I'm seeing about $25 for the 16oz. Jet boat pilot sells the 16oz for $7.99.

Does anyone know what the Fuel Med-Rx gallons to ounce ratio is?

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PRI-G.jpg

I've used PRI-G for almost every fill up.

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have used ring free since the boat was new. I bought a case so I have yet to buy any other products. Stabil every fall is the norm here in Wisconsin from the boat to the lawn mower.