• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

starboard engine dying at 4k rpm under load. Yamaha sr230

patrick mckinney

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
So sorry ahead of time for the long post. My dad recently passed away and left me his SR230 Boat. He has owned it since new and did all maintence himself. He recently Had to replace the port side engine and then had the boat winterized. i lived at home up untill four years ago so i have a decent knowlege of the boat and how to work on it. My issue is that under load my starboard engine will die out around 4,000 rpm. It is getting water to cool it and seems fine up until that point. So far have tried tried running some seafoam through it in case it a fuel line was clogged. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Im really trying to avoid going to a shop.

Welcome aboard @patrick mckinney and sorry to hear about your dad passing away.

One thing that fixes a lot of engine related issues is simply changing the spark plugs. Also, check all of the wiring such as the battery cables and engine grounds.

Another thing that comes to mind would be the cleanout hatch safety switches. Make sure that your cleanout plugs are secure in their tubes and that the hatch cover is fastened down. Otherwise it could be possible that the switches are getting triggered while under way if the lid bounces.

The good thing is that these boats have basically two identical engines and electrical systems. So often times you can swap parts from one system to the other in order to eliminate it as a cause of the issue.

A few simple things that can be swapped would be.

1. Ignition switches
2. Lanyard connections - there are two switches inside the one plunger that cut out each engine when the lanyard is removed.
3. Cleanout switches - there are two cleanout switches. Each switch controls both the ignition cutout and starter.
4. Coils - or in your case probably spark plug wires and coils.
5. ECU's
6. Fuel pumps

Often (as in the ignition switches) all you have to do is simply unplug and swap connections without removing anything. If the problem jumps to the other engine, you've found the source of your issue. If the problem remains, simply return the set up to its original configuration and move on down to the next one.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Im not sure That the hatch would be the problem, i had it hooked up to the hose and without being under load it dies out at 8k rpm (should have mentioned that before my bad) and i also tried to remove the plungers in the clean out hatch to see if it was clogged or something but i can not get them out for the life of me (lots of old crud and dirt built up around them). But i will deffinatly look into the plugs and see if that is the problem.

Everythink @itsdgm says....plus...consider buying a YDS cable and SW so you can plug into a computer and read what the engine diagnostics have to say. Also, if you list your location, you may find that someone near you may loan you the cable or come by and read your engines for you.....

Ok. You're right. I was thinking that you meant while running on a lake when you said "under load".

Also, there's a lot of things that can be looked up on a laptop with a special cable and software. It can be found on eBay pretty cheap, or borrowed from a member close by ;) where are you located?

im located in clarksville TN, And on the lake it dies at 4k, in the yard it dies at 7-8k. I really appreciate the input guys its a big help.

im located in clarksville TN, And on the lake it dies at 4k, in the yard it dies at 7-8k. I really appreciate the input guys its a big help.
You've come to the right place. Keep us posted and @tag us if you reply back and don't get a response. It helps direct the user that you want to see your post right to it!!!

In this type of situation, I would be looking to establish a baseline since you don't exactly know where the maintenance was left off. As others have mentioned, getting the clean-out plugs removed is a critical step. By the sounds of it, you many want to look into the rebuild kits. I would then change the plugs and the oil and get some fresh gas in it and supplement the gas with Yamaha Ring Free. I would then try to get my hands on a service manual and go through the boat and trailer.

I 2nd and 3rd what was said above. Also have a question. Once the engine dies, does it fire right back up? And does it sputter at all before dying?

I would definitely change the fuel filters along with the spark plugs.

In addition to what everyone else already said...

I would check the oil level and the air filters to make sure no oil is on them. Not sure about your year, but with a number of the engines, if you overfill them then the oil splashes on the air filter and causes havoc.

Condolences on your Dad @patrick mckinney. The guys have you on the correct track with the spark plugs. Change them on both engines. I had the same issue on my 06 SX230 when I bought it.

Back