• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stock Speaker upgrade

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been seeing a lot of people putting up their stock speakers from the 2020 and newer boats. I am aware that going to something like Kicker, Wet Sounds, or JL Audio is preferred, but if someone is on a budget, is there any advantage to picking up a pair or two of these speakers. Especially if they are coming with the factory amps? It seems as though most are Wet Sounds speakers, but I will assume that they are the bottom of the line-up from that Manuf.

I have a 2015 AR210 that has the "Marine Audio" (Rebranded Jensen I thought I read/heard). I don't have any amps. It doesn't sound bad, but I want to slowly start upgrading, and one day exploring getting some tower speakers or someone rear-facing for the times we are floating.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've been seeing a lot of people putting up their stock speakers from the 2020 and newer boats. I am aware that going to something like Kicker, Wet Sounds, or JL Audio is preferred, but if someone is on a budget, is there any advantage to picking up a pair or two of these speakers. Especially if they are coming with the factory amps? It seems as though most are Wet Sounds speakers, but I will assume that they are the bottom of the line-up from that Manuf.
Even the lower end Recon series from Wet Sounds are great speakers. If you can find a set that someone is selling at a reasonable price, go ahead and get them. Sound quality increases dramatically as price increases, but begins to plateau where the difference between good and great speakers gets smaller and smaller at a certain price point, so there's a fine line between good and best and that varies per person. For marine speakers with waterproof marine ratings, a good set costs about $150, and a great set about $300 depending on market and brands.
I have a 2015 AR210 that has the "Marine Audio" (Rebranded Jensen I thought I read/heard). I don't have any amps. It doesn't sound bad, but I want to slowly start upgrading, and one day exploring getting some tower speakers or someone rear-facing for the times we are floating.
The biggest difference is usually gained from an amp to get the speakers pumping. Head units are extremely over-rated for clean power output on all channels and realistically are only capable of a few watts/ch of clean output. A decent amp will make a nice difference even to low end speakers. Adding an amp and good speakers makes a huge difference. If you want to save money and spread out the cost, I suggest you buy two pairs of good speakers first so you have decent sound. Then add an amp to pump them up which will make a big difference to output. Then later add the tower speakers with another amp to drive them.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Maybe the set of kicker speakers that comes with amps that someone is selling here on the forums is just what I need to start down this nasty rabbit hole. lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

The very low end speakers Yamaha puts in some models are really not great speakers. The ones with white plastic grills are often "Seaworthy" brand. When I upgraded them to Polk DB651s I put one side of the boat in first and faded from left to right to see the difference....it was NOTICEABLE. And when I say this, my best baseline is my wife. She typically rolls her eyes at TV/Stereo upgrades I do. When I had her sit in the boat and listen, she was like "WOW...thats a huge difference!!!". So those "Seaworthy" speakers are true to their name.....they are indeed seaworthy....as in....drop them in the sea....soon. :) (If my wife says she can hear a major difference....yours will too....but do it the same way.... install one half of the boat and demo it for her).

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The very low end speakers Yamaha puts in some models are really not great speakers. The ones with white plastic grills are often "Seaworthy" brand. When I upgraded them to Polk DB651s I put one side of the boat in first and faded from left to right to see the difference....it was NOTICEABLE. And when I say this, my best baseline is my wife. She typically rolls her eyes at TV/Stereo upgrades I do. When I had her sit in the boat and listen, she was like "WOW...thats a huge difference!!!". So those "Seaworthy" speakers are true to their name.....they are indeed seaworthy....as in....drop them in the sea....soon. :) (If my wife says she can hear a major difference....yours will too....but do it the same way.... install one half of the boat and demo it for her).
when you installed the speakers, did you also add in amps like others have suggested for the comparison? My wife things the speakers sound good when in the boat. I feel like the low end is a bit lacking, but we also are not trying to vibrate the entire boat. I just want a better overall sound - which I know is subjective.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
when you installed the speakers, did you also add in amps like others have suggested for the comparison? My wife things the speakers sound good when in the boat. I feel like the low end is a bit lacking, but we also are not trying to vibrate the entire boat. I just want a better overall sound - which I know is subjective.
This was in my 2005 SX230. All I did was replace the Seaworthy speakers with Polks initially. Then I added more speakers and an amp. But that was because "the boss" approved them based on phase one results.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My wife things the speakers sound good when in the boat. I feel like the low end is a bit lacking, but we also are not trying to vibrate the entire boat. I just want a better overall sound - which I know is subjective.
I'm the same with music...I don't want subs shaking the boat, just good clean sound that's loud enough for cruising, etc. I'm happy with the Polks which sound pretty good. If I didn't already have them in the boat, I would have upgraded to JL or similar with a suitable amp to drive them. In fact, I liked them enough to buy another pair and mount them beside the pilot/co-pilot chairs:

Post.jpg

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not much on sound systems for my boat but when the OEMS rusted out and I put in some cheap Sony "marine" speakers they were way better than the OEM's relatively speaking.

Now just waiting for the two remaining OEM's to fuzz out so I can replace them too.

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me the opening size for the stock speakers are on a 2020 AR210?

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am trying to see if 5 5/8 will require any cutting.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me the opening size for the stock speakers are on a 2020 AR210?
Standard size is 6.5" speakers which require a 5.0" hole for mounting.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Get a set of fusion cwrgb 6.5s for $115 a pair on sale right now! Crazy good deal!