• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stopped by algae

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was cruising in the North Landing River here in Virginia yesterday on our way to Munden Point. On the way down I got an over temp warning on the port engine. Stopped and found it was not getting water so took the hose to the intake strainer loose, blew through it a got whatever was plugging it out and we were back on our way. Everything was good fit the rest of the day until the return trip when about a 1/4 mile from where we stopped on the way, both engines over heat. Same process as before but found water coming into the intakes. blew through the hose the other way to find them plugged. finally blew hard enough to dislodge what was ever in the engines. once I got it running again had my friend check the pee streams for water where he caught a glob of green algae coming out. We ran for about 2 mins before overheat again. This time I took out the thermostats out only to find them covered in the same goo. I just left them out and continued on. We repeated the blowing out the motors no less than three more times before it finally stopped cloging up as we got farther up the river. The funny thing is there was no sign of algae on the water surface, but the water in that river is very stagnant and we have had little rain lately. Just wanted to share this with everyone, never thought that algae could stop my boat. going to make a rig that will fit in the flush ports to put compressed air or co2 in there to blow out obstructions. wish I could have got a picture of the stuff in the thermostats but I was too much in a hurry to get the boat back running.

Crazy? That would happen to any boat or just a Yamaha??
We had a Small piece of Kelp (seaweed) cover our cooling intake on our 242LS....It did the Same thing...

This would be a problem for any boat with an open cooling system, but perhaps more of a problem for jets as they scoop water from the surface while IO and OBs draw from a few feet below the surface.

This would be a problem for any boat with an open cooling system, but perhaps more of a problem for jets as they scoop water from the surface while IO and OBs draw from a few feet below the surface.
Ahhh...the benefits of a 42" draft ;)

Until you hit a submerged log like my neighbor did with his MerCruiser sterndrive in the same river/canal.
And that'd be the downside:(

But had you been no waking it through floating algae?
That is the weird thing, there was no visible signs of the stuff on the surface. The water looked like it always has. This waterway is part of the Inter-coastal waterway, between Great Bridge lock and the Currituck sound. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albemarle_and_Chesapeake_Canal) It is very highly traveled but no one else was having a problem but me.

One of th lakes I boat on is very shallow and by early August is filled with algae and weeds. If this was my primary boating location I would not consider a Yamaha.

Back