• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Summer outside storage advice, needed!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Due to some important business we are going to have to attend to this summer we unfortunately are going to have to store our SX190 outside here in FLA. Would like some advice and tips on prep and techniques for the storage, the boat has always been garage kept but it's not possible for the next 6 months or so. I am going to purchase the OEM mooring cover as a start...thanks

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be sure everything is dry before covering it up. In fact, open the cabinets and pull the cushions off in places to allow air to flow. The big thing we fight is mildew

Be sure nothing is sitting on a cushion that will color transfer, or leave an indentation. Stabilize the fuel, and top your batteries if you cannot leave a trickle charger on them.

Good luck.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks @biffdotorg we are going to take all the cushions out and store them separately, now for the should I fill the tank, leave what is in there or empty the tank of fuel question, we use startron for a stabilizer and it has worked great, and I have been thinking about filling the tank with rec gas (no ethanol)? I have read to make sure all inlets/outlets, any openings are covered, just unsure how to do that. Thinking about putting a plastic bag over and around the nozzle so no critters decide to crawl up and make it a home.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my eyes, you are doing what we do to winterize in the North. The cushions can stay in if you know the boat will stay dry under the cover. Just set the cushions at angle to allow air to flow.

Not sure if you have a spider problem, but mice would be a concern. If we fear rodents, we drop fabric softener sheets in orifices. The full tank theory is debated constantly. It's a large tank, try to put no-ethanol if at all possible. The amount of condensation is determined by your climate. For us, we have cold try weather in the winter. But stabilizer, and ISO in the spring will handle any condensation.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Big bucket of damp rid inside. Where are you leaving it? Any chance you can put a tent/canopy on top? I got one for less than $300 at Amazon and it makes a huge difference in temperature and exposure to the elements.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you know you'll use it again in six months I'd probably keep the tank full, if it could be longer I'd be tempted to get it close to empty use a bunch of stabalizer and then when your ready to use it again fill it with fresh fuel,

Do you have to keep it outside, could you rent a storage garage for the short term or do you have a free place outside to keep it, not that six months outside is going to ruin it but If it's always been garaged it may be worth it to you,

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks all for the help, the only big question that I have remaining is should I fog the engine?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I knew I wasn't going to use it for six months or more I would fog it

Last edited:

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The OEM covers are outstanding. If you want something reasonably priced and temporary, you could buy one of those delivery covers off of a 2019 pretty cheap. They are also surpisingly good quality (felt bottom and vinyl top with support polls and travel strap to lock it on.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The OEM covers are outstanding. If you want something reasonably priced and temporary, you could buy one of those delivery covers off of a 2019 pretty cheap. They are also surpisingly good quality (felt bottom and vinyl top with support polls and travel strap to lock it on.
Would love to be able to get one of those....