• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taken on little water

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey all, I’m a new boat owner since purchasing a 2000 Yamaha LS 2000 last week... Everything looked great motors very clean recently rebuilt, hull is in great shape... Only issue I had was taken on a water in the ski compartment would fill up a good 4-5 inches but didn’t really rise much more than that, engine compartment had some water just about up to the motor mounts there is nothing noticeable leaking and the boat was in the water for the weekend, so I assume whatever it is isn’t a terrible issue. Any ideas of where to start would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, I’m a new boat owner since purchasing a 2000 Yamaha LS 2000 last week... Everything looked great motors very clean recently rebuilt, hull is in great shape... Only issue I had was taken on a water in the ski compartment would fill up a good 4-5 inches but didn’t really rise much more than that, engine compartment had some water just about up to the motor mounts there is nothing noticeable leaking and the boat was in the water for the weekend, so I assume whatever it is isn’t a terrible issue. Any ideas of where to start would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance
Step one would be to figure out why the bilge pump isnt working (or perhaps you didnt turn it on?)

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats on the new boat.

But that is way too much water. If it’s not raining the boat should be able to sit indefinitely without taking on water.

I’d start by making sure the 4 drain plugs in the engine compartment are plugged while on the water. That way you can start to isolate the source. But keep a close eye on it. You don’t want the water rising any higher and flood the engines. I’d make sure the coolant line connections aren’t leaking because of the recent rebuilds.. The port engine cooling hose is hard to see where it goes into the exhaust.

If the scupper valve is original I’d replace ASAP. Also check the intermediate bearings in the engine compartment. They’d leak more when the engines are running. You could also fill the bilge with water while on the trailer and look for leaks.

Unrelated, but make sure your oil lines are in good shape.

Last edited:

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Step one would be to figure out why the bilge pump isnt working (or perhaps you didnt turn it on?)
Yeah I had it running I could here it and had the hose in water, just wasn’t pumping water out

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat.

But that is way too much water. If it’s not raining the boat should be able to sit indefinitely without taking on water.

I’d start by making sure the 4 drain plugs in the engine compartment are plugged while on the water. That way you can start to isolate the source. But keep a close eye on it. You don’t want the water rising any higher and flood the engines. I’d make sure the coolant line connections aren’t leaking because of the recent rebuilds.. The port engine cooling hose is hard to see where it goes into the exhaust.

If the scupper valve is original I’d replace ASAP. Also check the intermediate bearings in the engine compartment. They’d leak more when the engines are running. You could also fill the bilge with water while on the trailer and look for leaks.

Unrelated, but make sure your oil lines are in good shape.
Thanks for the input, I will try these few methods and see where it goes... I’ll update information after a few trials lol Thanks again

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I had it running I could here it and had the hose in water, just wasn’t pumping water out
Not sure what you mean "had the hose in the water"....the bilge is attached to the bottom of the boat....the hose attaches to the outlet on the side of the boat for discharge.

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Not sure what you mean "had the hose in the water"....the bilge is attached to the bottom of the boat....the hose attaches to the outlet on the side of the boat for discharge.
When I get home later I’ll show pics of what I mean...

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I filled the ski compartment with water and kept the drain plug in and found it was dripping out around the outside of the drain plug flange... Would that let in a good amount of water while out on the water?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I filled the ski compartment with water and kept the drain plug in and found it was dripping out around the outside of the drain plug flange... Would that let in a good amount of water while out on the water?
I would say so. If it’s leaking around and not through the fitting you’ll need some 3m 5200 or equivalent...remove the it and reseal.

If the scupper valve is still the original plastic one you might as well do both at the same time.

Rheller418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I would say so. If it’s leaking around and not through the fitting you’ll need some 3m 5200 or equivalent...remove the it and reseal.

If the scupper valve is still the original plastic one you might as well do both at the same time.
Thanks for the input... I’ll make a stop at the local marine shop and get it fixed up for the weekend and see if that helps