• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk me into this

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We went surfing on an Axis A24 on vacation and now my wife wants to make our ar240 into the best surf boat it can be. We already had a bunch of mods planned for the spring:
  • WakeBooster
  • Thrust Vector Wake
  • 800lbs bag for swim locker
  • Tower speakers
Now I’m thinking about just trading in our 2018 ar240 for a 2019 242X. Our dealer will throw in the WakeBooster package.

My thinking is that we stay in jets, which I’d love to do and we go with a higher payment versus shelling out all the cash to mod the ar240 and still having to manually fill bags. I’d love to just push a button and all the bags fill while put the booster on and fill the transom bag.

Plus I’m in love with the new blue.

Someone talk me into or out of this!!

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You only live once, if you can afford it do it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly.....lots of mods to surf behind a jet.

Do you require the shallow draft of the jets? If not, I would seriously consider the move to a dedicated wake boat if you want "push button simplicity" in your wake surfing setup.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly.....lots of mods to surf behind a jet.

Do you require the shallow draft of the jets? If not, I would seriously consider the move to a dedicated wake boat if you want "push button simplicity" in your wake surfing setup.
Agree

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Surfing isn’t the end all to be all....we surfed for many years behind our Moomba. I guess I didn’t find it to be the greatest watersport like everyone else all obsessed with it these days. Most folks can barely surf 50’ without the rope..

We do a mix of everything - a little surfing, some tubing, wakeboard and a lot of lounging...My point is I wouldn’t go trading your boat based solely on doing some surfing..

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Contrary I would say if you plan to wake surf more than most other things I would say get a dedicated boat for that. Same with fishing boat if you're serious about that over most other things on the boat. I love wake surfing because I'm not athletic nor young enough to wakeboard or get laid out of work wake boarding. Surfing is easy on the body when you fall and it's slow speed everyone can enjoy it so that's why we like it over other water sports.

I got tired of dealing with bags, pumps and I didn't want to give up my storage space. For that we wanted push of the button surfing tech and upgraded to a new Moomba. I would not get an Axis though even if it makes a pretty and tall wave. Super cheap interior with more plastic than a Playboy model. Wave also isn't that adjustable unless you have power wedge. Like throwing a parachute out it will eat gas like no tomorrow due to the foils drag. Rides super bow high as well because of the wedge. Handles ok at slower speeds but it rides like a flat bottom fishing boat compared to other (better designed) hulls once on plane. Not a lot of freeboard either so taking water over the bow on a big roller is possible with the Axis.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’ve found the easiest fool proof method to getting a good wave is to tell the in-laws to sit in the back of the boat.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Since you just discovered that you may like surfing, I would invest in a wake shaping device (wake wedge is proven, but the booster looks promising and Will’s product may be good also), a transom bag and a center bag, and then see what happens. That’s the cheapest option to see if you and the family enjoy it. If you do, then I would look at a dedicated boat. You could get a 2016 top end (Malibu, Supra, Mastercraft) for a good price with a little warranty. Top trim. Or, you could get a new one that is a tier down (Axis, Moomba,...). All are nice. @haknslash is a a little rough on Axis. The new Axis are great boats and the waves are as good as, if not better than all of the top end boats (it’s a Malibu hull). The wave is very customizable with the Power Wedge 3 (not manual) and the Surf Gate. I’m on my 2nd Malibu and would look seriously at an Axis (and a Moomba). In my opinion, if you go v-drive, you want one that holds value the best. The top ends ones hold really well, especially if you buy a couple to a few years used. All of the surf boats have great waves these days...

Good luck and have fun. My ‘13 Yamaha was an awesome boat!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While it may sound rough, I was being 100% honest though. I demoed a leftover 2017 A22 when I was shopping and it was a rough ride. I actually think my 19' AR192 had a nicer ride, especially in the 25+ mph range. The new 2019 Axis boats have nicer vinyls and new seat but the rest of the interior is the same sea of plastic. That's not to say there isn't plastic in my Moomba either but there's plastic everywhere in an Axis and very low grade at that. Go and pull on the side cup holder tray. It will sway and move real easy and not at all secure feeling. I won't bash the brand but I will say anyone shopping for boats need to make sure you get out and demo the boats. Run them hard, run them into their own waves, and put them through their paces. You will see, feel and hear if the boat is well built or not. For me Axis is just too expensive for what they are amd it's a big reason why I didn't choose one. Power wedge wasn't available until this year on Axis IIRC so if you're shopping for one be sure you at least get power wedge and not the floating wedge. Even then it can't change the shape of the wave too much other than height or length, the shape more or less stays the same since the running surface doesn't get altered (roll and yaw) vs mainly pitch with a wedge and surf gate.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are going to change boats and spend more money primarily because you want one that is better for surfing (or really any watersport), and super shallow water isn't a big concern, I would highly suggest that you make the move to a boat that is really designed for that. The 242X is a very cool boat but IMO it isn't really a watersports boat. It is a great jack-of-all-trades boat that has a few extra "watersports features". Really, in today's v-drive wake boat market, there isn't a "wrong" choice. There are just different levels of luxury, equipment, etc.. I'd wager that virtually any of them would make a superior surfing/wakeboarding/tubing platform.

We made the move to a v-drive (MB Sports F22) in 2016 and absolutely love the boat. The 242X is pretty much in the same price range as what you can get a new and very nice v-drive from a host of builders, including Moomba, MB, Supreme, Axis, Sanger, and I'm sure some others. If you're willing to look at a few year old used, the market is pretty wide open.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are going to change boats and spend more money primarily because you want one that is better for surfing (or really any watersport), and super shallow water isn't a big concern, I would highly suggest that you make the move to a boat that is really designed for that. The 242X is a very cool boat but IMO it isn't really a watersports boat. It is a great jack-of-all-trades boat that has a few extra "watersports features". Really, in today's v-drive wake boat market, there isn't a "wrong" choice. There are just different levels of luxury, equipment, etc.. I'd wager that virtually any of them would make a superior surfing/wakeboarding/tubing platform.

We made the move to a v-drive (MB Sports F22) in 2016 and absolutely love the boat. The 242X is pretty much in the same price range as what you can get a new and very nice v-drive from a host of builders, including Moomba, MB, Supreme, Axis, Sanger, and I'm sure some others. If you're willing to look at a few year old used, the market is pretty wide open.
Couldn't have put it better. If you're serious about water sports you'll want the right tool for the job. Not saying you can't surf or make a wave in a Yamaha. Just saying it takes a bit more work and setup each time and you will have bags on top of the boat.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the trade would be a waste of cash and leave you wanting a wake boat. No jet will ever compare to a wake boat for surfing. If surfing is your goal, and you don't have sand bars to get stuck on, get a wake boat. Imo a jet is a compromise on everything except shallow water travel. Cost, mpg, noise, wake, etc. (Well not cost compared to a wake boat!)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even with all of the customization I have done and anticipation of having a ropeless wave this season I am seriously considering going the @haknslash route with a max next season. This season is the make it or break it for wether I keep my yami. If one has yet to sink a ton of time and money into customizing and wants a ropeless wave my advice is to cut bait and go to the prop side.

Come to think of it a new section in the forums called The Prop Side may be a good idea.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There's so much talk about getting it all good enough to go be able to go ropeless, but really that is just the beginning. There's a lot more fun to be had in surfing once it isn't a struggle just to be able to find a spot where you can let go of the rope. On a purpose-built wakeboat, that spot is 15-20 feet long. Slashing off the face, carving bottom turns, falling back on the wave then accelerating down the line and getting pop (and hopefully air) off the lip before turning down toward the bottom and then riding it out, 180s, 360s, all kinds of stuff. Going ropeless isn't the goal - that's the starting line. Riding behind a boat that is displacing 10,000 - 12,000 pounds of water with a running surface designed to shape the wake is Fun with a capital F.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even with all of the customization I have done and anticipation of having a ropeless wave this season I am seriously considering going the @haknslash route with a max next season. This season is the make it or break it for wether I keep my yami. If one has yet to sink a ton of time and money into customizing and wants a ropeless wave my advice is to cut bait and go to the prop side.

Come to think of it a new section in the forums called The Prop Side may be a good idea.
One condition if you do: Whatever cool stuff you think of, you still need to come back here and share it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of info, but I’m just going to throw out that my 242X is on the way, and I’m going to love every minute of it when it gets here!!

Like everyone said, though, wake surfing is just one of our activities, not necessarily the primary.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One condition if you do: Whatever cool stuff you think of, you still need to come back here and share it.
No worries I am hopelessly hooked. For some reason this is the only social media type thing I am active on. I am very grateful to be a part of this community.