• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tell me about Kauai

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The beachfront home we have rented for our Hana Maui Hawaii vacation the last two years is no longer going to be available as a rental, publicly or privately.:( We have rented several other homes in the area as well as staying at the Hana Kai condos in ocean front units. The home we found the last two years was the pinnacle as far as we are concerned or at least one we can afford with all considerations. So we are looking for an alternate plan.

We have never been to Kauai. I am not even sure I know how to pronounce it correctly:shamefullyembarrased: We are not typical tropical tourists. We don't hang at a beach and are not sun worshipers. We do like a beach in small doses as well as enjoy the water if it is safe to get in it. Our black sand beaches on Maui were nice for a stroll and swim but we didn't spend the day there. Our perfect idea is having our own place away from everyone else, solitude, quiet, ocean sounds, cooler side of island and even a little rain everyday or so is ok by us. So I am looking to the north shore of kauai, west of Princeville. Specifically, in the Haena area. The house cost for an equivalent house on the beach has jumped about $200 per night:eek: but there are many more to choose from. Having rented homes as an alternative on vacation and getaways, I am well aware of how they can be packaged and misrepresented whether intentional or accidental. I am pretty picky but not a complainer, so going in, I want to make sure I know the details and the nuances.

If any of you have Kauai travel experience, especially rental experience there outside the condo/resort concept, I would love to hear about your experiences. Even if you have done the condo/resort thing, your take on Kauai and the "must do/see" would be welcomed. I know a far northwest shore accommodation adds many miles to touring the Waimea Canyon area and the rest of the south shore places that we will only get to pass through quickly. Having experience on Maui, I know the rain footprint is the north to northeast side and so are the cooler days, so for lodging, that is where we are headed. Those properties don't have A/C for the most part as it just isn't as needed. But some need it there even though they don't have it, because they are outside of the trade winds or blocked from them. So finding the perfect place is a challenge if that is where we are going.

This is for our next fall vacation. I hope you guys have tons of info on the island and lodging, as well as the out of the way "must do's". Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r ... this may not be much help, but we were there once. I lot more laid back than Maui but some awesome places to eat. And you will have to go to "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" .... Awesome place!! If you venture off road you will encounter the red, clay mud and it doesn't come off very well. If you get some on your clothes, lets just say they will be permanently stained. I will go back and find out what part of the island we were on and get back to you if you're interested. We didn't do a rental though, it was a hotel. I do remember it was in the Poipu area of Kauai.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's the south shore area Jim. Thanks for any info you have. I guess the road that ventures up along the west ridge of Waimea Canyon is what is referred to as the grand canyon of the pacific. I didn't see any roads down in it via google, just the ridge road. And I think it is only accessible from the south side of the island. Although I did read some confusing reviews that others had hiked to it from the north shore area...that looks like a hike out of my range! We hiked the big waterfall west of Hana twice each vacation. It is a 5 mile round trip over limb and stone through the rain forest and bamboo forest, half uphill! But anything more might be a bigger trek than we want to challenge ourselves with.

I know what you mean about the red clay. That same clay is found in several places in Hawaii, and I think that it is the clay they use to dye the "red dirt" shirts and clothing line. I have several of them, and the downside is anything greasy stains the stained shirts! I had on one of them in Hana a few years back. We made a very nice dinner that was something we used to eat at Macaroni Grill. It was a pasta with shredded salmon in a lemon/butter/caper sauce. Delicious, but just a dribble as I took a bite made a grease stain on that shirt that never washed out, and the thing with those shirts...you can't bleach them and anything you do scrubbing removes the red tint! Anyway, I digress...

Anything you or anyone have that you remember as far as tips, road markers, secret paths, perfect sunset spot, place to eat, etc...would love to hear! Thanks again @Jim Robeson

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are hiking trails off the ridge road. Nothing too bad, and from my memory, all shorter than the Hana/Waterfall trek....but that was 18 years ago, so they've add more trails since we were there! Yes...take "disposable" shoes or ones you don't mind being red when you are done!

No help at all on housing....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks Julian, I hadn't considered that the mud would wreck your shoes too. I think my running shoes are pretty stained anyway, but not mud colored! We have seen people hiking the waterfall past Hana in everything, including flip flops and even bare footed! I tried it in Vibrams Five Finger shoes once and it killed me...never again with those! Just not enough padding for my feet. I do the beach in them, but anything with occasional stones just kills me. I like the freedom of them in seven sacred pools so I put up with walking slow and the occasional stone bruise for that. I will remember the "disposable" shoe issue for hiking the canyon. And to clarify, I don't know if you can get to the canyon from the north shore area, but I have read a few reviews that may just have been worded poorly and that is where I got the impression you could. Clarification on that would be great as well.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You will need to eat here ... http://www.hanaleidolphin.com/dolphin-restaurant-kauai.htm This was some of the most delicious seafood that I have ever had!! A quick story, us and another couple travel to Kauai at the end of December. We went to this restaurant since it was recommended to us by the hotel. We are sitting there and I notice that Don Henley, the Eagles Don Henley, was sitting there with his family. I said to the other couple that was with us, "Don't turn around but I think that is Don Henley" Well, the guy knew immediately who I was talking about. Our two ladies were like WHO?? I said "you know Don Henley with the Eagles" My wife said, "he doesn't look like a football player!!" Anyway, we laughed all night about that one. I never did go up and ask for an autograph, just let him be. He noticed me when I realized who he was and nodded to us as we left. Kind of cool.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When I flew Hawaii all the time when I was an FO on the 767, I saw celebs all the time. I left them to themselves too. When I was a young man, eating at a posh steakhouse in Scottsdale with the first love, Elton John was there with a table of about 8 or so. They were right beside us but I didn't interrupt them. I did ask our waiter if he thought I could have one of their expensive looking menus and if he might ask EJ if he would autograph it for my lady...he declined. I haven't ask or interrupted them again, and we didn't even get a nod. I have also been snubbed by Terry Bradshaw, Oprah, Mick Fleetwood, and Don Nelson. However a few have been not only friendly but down right nice! Including Larry Miller (suck up man, Mr. Hollister in Pretty Woman), and Andi MacDowell (Groundhog Day). I bet Don would have been an ok guy!

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's been about 10 years since I have been there. Sorry can't help with accommodations as stayed on the other end of the island. Scenery is gorgeous, more lush than Maui. We did a tour with wings over Kauai which was one of the high points for me as you get fantastic views of Wameia Canyon and Na Pali coast which you can only get from the air. We went up in a Cessna Skylane with the owner who had been flying around the islands for years as part of his job as an agricultural chemist. When his job disappeared he did not want to leave Kauai so opened this business. Blue Hawaiian has helicopter tours as well

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I can jumpseat on blue hawaiian, space available. I don't know for sure, but I expect Maui is just as tropical and heavy vegetation as Kauai, but you would have to drive the road to Hana and past to see it.